Assistant Sailing Coach - The University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI 02881
Application Closing Date
Security Clearance Required
This is a part time, varied-hours position that assists the Head Sailing Coach and is responsible for assistance with planning, management, recruiting, coaching and traveling with the URI Sailing Team. This position is not eligible for benefits. Sailing is a club sport and falls under the Department of Campus Recreation at the University.
• Assist Head Coach in developing practices, schedules, goals, individual/team meetings and establish work out training regimen for team members.
• Schedule, coordinate and run select home regattas as directed by Head Coach.
• Promote fair play and good sportsmanship at all practices and competitions.
• Accompany team as coach to select regattas each weekend during the fall and spring racing seasons.
• Recruit prospective student-athletes for URI Sailing through meetings, visitations, admissions programs, website inquiries and correspondence. This can include attending junior and high school regattas as directed.
• Assist in managing the sailing team with complete awareness and understanding of the United States Sailing Association (USSA), Intercollegiate Sailing Association (ICSA) and New England Sailing Association (NEISA) rules and regulations that includes vast knowledge of the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) and the ICSA Procedural Rules.
• Work with team members to provide discrepancy lists and technical expertise to ensure that maintenance, repairs and modifications to URI Sailing Team fleet of 18 FJ’s, 8 shared-use 420s, and coach boats are conducted efficiently and effectively.
• Ensure that boats, floats, marks, race management equipment are prepared for all practices and home competitions. This can include areas of the URI Sailing Pavilion inside and out.
• Attend select university functions in coordination with or absence of the Head Coach
Hours (exact hours to be determined in coordination with Head Coach):
In Season (Late August to Mid-November & March to Early June)
• 4 Practices per week (approximately 2-6 PM)
• Travel required on both Saturdays and Sundays
Winter (Mid-November to Late February)
• As needed, no more than 4 hours per week, scheduled at least 72 hours in advance by head coach
Summer (Mid-June to Mid-August)
• No hours required
Demonstrated evidence of US Sailing Level 1 Instructor Certification
Demonstrated leadership, teaching, and organizational skills
Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, and computer skills
Demonstrated evidence of current First Aid/AED/CPR certifications or ability to obtain within two months of employment.
Willingness to work evenings and weekends
Willingness to travel locally, regionally, and nationally
The successful candidate for this position will be required to complete a HireRight criminal background checks satisfactory to The University of Rhode Island prior to commencing employment.
Demonstrated evidence of US Sailing Level 2 Instructor Certification
Demonstrated substantial dinghy racing experience
Demonstrated experience in collegiate style fleet racing and team racing
1-2 years of prior coaching experience at the junior, high school, or college level