About Maine Maritime Academy
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) is a public, fully accredited college located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine. The college is one of six state-supported maritime colleges in the United States.
MMA is a college of engineering, management, science, and transportation with a community of approximately 950 students and 200 faculty and staff. Maine Maritime is a NCAA Division III institution that competes in the North Atlantic Conference, and is a New England Football Conference member.
MMA is a remarkable place to work and grow in a career, rich in opportunity, experiences and rewards. MMA offers a feeling of “family” that is unique. Our goal is to create and sustain a community where all are appreciated and respected for their individual and collective contributions.
Maine Maritime Academy is situated on a picturesque peninsula in the Penobscot Bay, a renowned sailing destination and home to more than 200 islands.
The Academy is only 40 miles from Bangor, Maine’s third largest city and home to Bangor International Airport. It is less than 50 miles from Acadia National Park, where opportunities for outdoor exploration and adventure abound.
Hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, sailing, skiing, snowmobiling – all right at your front door!
Maine Maritime employees enjoy competitive wages and some of the best benefits in the state of Maine, including:
• health, dental, and vision insurance
• employer paid life and long-term disability insurance
• retirement plan with generous employer match
• generous paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
• tuition waiver for eligible dependents
Invest in yourself and your future with a career at Maine Maritime Academy!
The MMA sailing team is currently comprised of two groups – one is small (420 type) boats and the other is a large boat racing team. The incumbent will assist the Maine Maritime Academy Sailing Coach by introducing advanced sailing skills and techniques to students, assisting with daily practice planning and implementation. This individual will also instruct PE sailing courses, providing students with a consistent, knowledgeable instructor and safe experience on the water. He or she will oversee and coach MMA student sailors at home and away regattas. The assistant coach will provide dedicated maintenance to the boats used by the team, and help support MMA’s active high school sailing program.
• Ensures the safety of student athletes at all times,
• Assists in the teaching and supervision of practices – both independently and under guidance of the head coach,
• Instructs in sailing courses,
• Transports team to and from regattas, coaches and supervises team and responsible for the team’s well-being,
• Demonstrates competency in sport skill instruction, motivation, and the ability to conduct practice sessions,
• Assists in the maintenance of the fleet of boats (420s, Colgate 26s, powerboats, various keelboats),
• Adheres to all governing sport, association, conference, departmental, and Academy rules and policies,
• Demonstrates a sincere interest in the personal, academic and athletic progress of student athletes,
• Exhibits supportive and cooperative behavior pursuing program goals set by the head coach,
• Demonstrates leadership ability and professional behavior when dealing with student-athletes,
• Efficiently and effectively complete tasks assigned by the head coach,
• Accepts constructive criticism and work toward consistent professional improvement,
• Responsible for learning and following all policies of the MMA Travel and Finance departments, and
• Other duties assigned by the Sailing Coach or Marine Operations Manager.
The statements above reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position. Additional duties consistent with the position may be assigned.
• Experience sailing and racing dinghies and keelboats
• Strong potential to teach, lead and counsel college student athletes
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Collaborative team player
• Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
• High degree of professionalism
• 2-3 years of sailing or coaching at the collegiate or secondary school level
• Familiarity with Intercollegiate Sailing Association (ICSA) rules
• Must have (or obtain within 30 days of hire) AED / CPR / First Aid Certification
• Possession of a valid/clean Driver’s License required
• US Sailing Level 1 or equivalent, Level 2 or 3 preferred
• Demonstrated understanding of excellent customer service.
• Pre-employment drug test, participation in random drug testing program
• Criminal Background check required
• Tobacco-Free workplace/campus
• Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, masts and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
• Requires lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, and pulling are required frequently.
• Frequent underway periods requiring time away from the Academy for extended periods: weeks, overnight and weekends.
• This work includes sailing and maintenance work in outside areas, hot and cold weather, and exposure to elements such as the ocean, rain, salt spray, dirt, fumes, and loud noises.
• Requires color vision: ability to identify and distinguish colors and depth perception. Vision requirements as set forth and covered under USCG requirements.
How to Apply
Please visit https://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/ for application forms. Interested individuals should submit the following documents in a single email to HR@mma.edu (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
•Completed MMA Application*
•Copies of applicable professional certifications and/or licenses
•Contact information for at least three professional references
•Completed MMA Application Checklist
•MMA Self-Identification Form (attach as separate document)
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation. Individuals cruising onboard our ships are also required to undergo a pre-employment drug-screening.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Maine Maritime Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with federal and/or state law that prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, disability, age, genetic information or veteran status. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request. Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
MMA is unable at this time to sponsor visas. We welcome foreign nationals with valid U.S. work authorization to apply.