Chatham Yacht Club Sailing School Program Director
Chatham Yacht Club
325 Fox Hill Road
Chatham, MA 02633
Application Closing Date
The Chatham Yacht Club (CYC) Sailing School Program Director is a full-time position and is responsible for leading the Club’s Sailing School in addition to overseeing other aspects of the Club. CYC was founded close to a century ago and throughout its history has had an active adult and youth membership that is engaged in both competitive and recreational small boat sailing. The CYC Sailing School, which today serves over 100 students per summer, for decades has produced proven sailors who have gone on to competitive success on behalf of CYC, collegiately, and beyond. CYC is based on the property of Eastward Ho! Country Club in Chatham and its clubhouse is located on the waterfront of Pleasant Bay.
The Sailing School Program Director is the most senior of CYC’s staff positions and reports directly to the Club’s Flag Officers. The specific responsibilities of the position include the following:
• Leads the Sailing School including development of curriculum, oversight of lesson planning, and instruction management for the Crew, Optimist, Helmsman, and Recreational classes, as well as the Optimist and 420 race teams;
• Manages a staff of approximately 25 instructors including leads and assistants for each of the Sailing School classes, coaches for the Optimist and 420 race teams, and full-time and substitute junior instructors;
• Shares with the race coaches responsibility for assisting the Race Committee, running the Sailing School races, and supervising the Junior Race Committee as well as any team racing and special racing events;
• Under the supervision of the CYC Fleet Captain, is responsible for the proper care and maintenance of all boats and equipment used by CYC, including loaned sailboats and powerboats as well as those owned by CYC;
• Assists in the care and maintenance of the CYC clubhouse, grounds, and equipment;
• Implements all safety measures at CYC including the enforcement of PFD use, instruction for the safe use of boats and CYC facilities, management of first aid supplies, and confirmation of CYC staff first aid and CPR certification;
• Assists with the execution of special events at CYC, such as the Club’s annual two-day Regatta;
• Works actively with the CYC Flag Officers, Sailing School Administrators, and other volunteer leadership.
The Sailing School Program Director is expected to be on-duty whenever the CYC Sailing School is in session, races are being conducted, or special events are being held beginning Monday June 22, 2020 and ending Sunday August 16, 2020. The Program Director is expected to plan and direct staff preparations of the CYC facilities one week prior to class start (June 15, 2020) and work with the Flag Officers and Sailing School Administrators on off-season planning. The time commitment for the position will average 40 hours per week during the nine week summer season.
The ideal candidate for the CYC Sailing School Program Director will have the following qualities and qualifications:
• At least 18 years of age;
• Proven experience as a sailing program leader (or its equivalent);
• Experience with management of staff, curriculum development, and daily oversight of classes;
• Successful experience as a youth sailing instructor (or its equivalent) from beginner to advanced;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with youth and adults;
• Excellent program-planning and organizational skills including schedule development abilities;
• Problem-solving orientation when confronted with challenges;
• Calm, positive attitude and ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously;
• US Sailing Level 2 or 3 Head Instructor Certification (or its equivalent);
• Up-to-date First Aid and CPR Certification;
• A completed CYC application with references from past employment.
If you are interested application can be found on the Chatham Yacht Club site at http://www.chathamyachtclub.org/
Contact CYC Vice Commodore Marshall Bartlett by email at email@example.com with any questions.
Employer Contact Information
50 Glezen Lane