Seattle Sailing Club is looking for a club manager to oversee all aspects of the growing sailing school and club. Each year the club gets almost a thousand new sailors on the water, provides access to a fleet of 35 keelboats from 22-40 ft for over 500 members, and participates in racing and cruising events around the Puget Sound area.
Seattle Sailing Club is the home of fun, affordable sailing. For 50 years, we have been serving the Seattle area, fostering the growth and education of new sailors, and providing more experienced sailors with an opportunity to sail without the hassle and expense of boat ownership. A membership with Seattle Sailing Club gives you access to a variety of boats you can use as your own, with options for unlimited day sailing, pay-as-you-go, and overnight cruising. We welcome you into this thriving community of great people and great sailors!
The club manager is responsible for the organization of basically four different parts to the club: the sailing school, club programs, fleet maintenance, and memberships. This position works closely with the administrative manager to ensure all aspects of the office are running smoothly and with the fleet/service managers to see that the fleet is ready for use on a daily basis.
• Friendly, professional, and engaging - This is a people-first position, and we are looking for someone who can communicate with our students, members, and customers in a manner befitting the fun and friendly atmosphere here at SSC.
• Excellent customer service, retail handling, and prior sailing school experience
• Sailing experience is necessary with preference towards keelboats 20-45 feet.
• Ability to establish priorities and manage multiple activities
• Perform with frequent interruptions and/or distractions
• A self-starter who foresees what needs to be done and comfortable directing others
• Ability to develop effective relationships with staff, students, members, and customers
• Excellent phone, email, and face-to-face communication
• Proficient in MS Office, Adobe products, Constant Contact and other marketing production programs.
• Available to work most weekends. Schedule will also often require early mornings and evenings during the summer season
• Manage a team of 12 part-time and full-time staff along with 25 instructors. This would include scheduling, dealing with concerns or complaints, and ensuring jobs are completed to high standards.
• Along with staff management the club manager will also be responsible for working with the owner and other managers to hire new employees and deal with any employee issues.
• Work with Admin Manager to produce marketing materials both in print and online. Manage social media accounts to increase the public knowledge of the joys of sailing and the benefits of being a part of a club.
• Along with the other office staff including administrative assistants, this job also involves answering phones and responding to incoming email inquiries, scheduling lessons and boat reservations.
• Prep for and coordinate member programs including flotillas, fun races, weeknight and weekend racing programs, and onshore social events.
• Maintain membership database, ensure accounts are up to date, onboard new members and process cancellations monthly
• Work with club owner and bookkeeper to maintain budgets and overall business finances
Desired skills, but not required:
• American Sailing Association instructor certifications
• USCG captains license
• Washington State Food Handlers card
• Sailing, sailing, and more sailing! Employees are welcome to take our ASA sailing lessons, enjoy the use of club boats, and participate in our Club sailing events!
• Health Insurance after 90-day probationary period
Employer Contact Information
Seattle Sailing Club
7001 Seaview Ave NW
Seattle Sailing Club is the home of fun, affordable sailing. For over 40 years, SSC has been serving the Seattle area, fostering the growth and education of new sailors, and providing more experienced sailors with an opportunity to sail without the hassle and expense of boat ownership. A membership with Seattle Sailing Club gives you access to a variety of boats you can use as your own, with options for unlimited day sailing, pay-as-you-go, and overnight cruising. Whether you’re just learning to sail or you’ve crossed oceans, whether you love to race or cruise, the staff and instructors of Seattle Sailing Club are excited to help you achieve your goals on the water. We welcome you into this thriving community of great people and great sailors!