Director, Joseph Conrad Overnight Sailing Camp at Mystic Seaport Museum
Mystic, CT 06355
Charitable / Not for Profit
Security Clearance Required
Mystic Seaport Museum is seeking a dynamic sailing and camp professional to run our Joseph Conrad Overnight Sailing Camp. During this unique residential summer camp, campers sleep aboard a historic full-rigged ship, the Joseph Conrad, learn to sail Dyer Dhow sailboats during the day, and participate in maritime skills activities on the campus of our Museum, including marine science, astronomy, and seamanship. The Director is responsible for overseeing and running the camp, including helping to hire, train and manage the summer counselors and Counselors-in-Training (CITs), and ensuring the highest quality programming, staff, and safety for the program. For more information about the camp visit http://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/summer-camps/conrad/. This position will also teach sailing to participants in our day Community Sailing program in the fall and spring months. The position requires strong leadership skills; the ability to work well with children; supervise, train, and mentor staff; communicate with campers' parents; work as part of a team; be fun and funny; engage counselors; and the ability to develop great character in children. This position is year-round and full-time.
• Lead by example as a role model who sets the tone for positive youth development
• Hire, train, and mentor camp counselors and counselors-in-training
• Ensure delivery of the highest quality summer camp programming
• Teach safety, boat handling, teamwork, and sailing theory to children and adults in dinghies (JY15s and Dyer Dhows) who are beginning, intermediate or racing sailors.
• Develop lesson plans that include dry land and on-the-water drills, maritime skills, and inclement weather activities.
• Arrange and coordinate all Conrad Camp activities with appropriate Seaport departments
• Ensure that all state licensing and safety protocols are followed for the Conrad Camp
• Complete and maintain licensing book and meet with state inspector during inspection of the Conrad Camp
• Help to market the programs
• Help with Sailing Center office and event management
• Serve as the liaison between parents and participants; communicate on a regular basis with parents
• Assist with the maintenance of sailboats and powerboats
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
• Must be 21 years of age
• US Sailing Level 1 certification preferred (training is available)
• Must have either: served at least one summer as a camp director or have had at least 16 weeks administrative or supervisory experience in an organized camp or completed equivalent administrative or supervisory training or experience in an organized youth program
• Must have current Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification (training provided)
• Must have safe boating certification
• Must have experience working with children and youth in formal or informal settings; ability to engage children and youth in a dynamic and energetic manner
• Must have specialized and practical knowledge of/experience in: residential camps, camp leadership and supervision; staff management, development, and motivation.
• Must have experience teaching sailing
• Must be comfortable and have experience driving powerboats in an instructional setting
• Must have experience supervising sailing instructors, preferably in a residential setting.
• Must have a positive, enthusiastic and flexible attitude.
• Must have integrity, patience, adaptability, a sense of humor, enthusiasm, and a commitment to serve youth
• Must possess strong problem solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
• Must have excellent customer service and communication skills
• Must have empathy for students and be able to adapt to their individual needs.
• Knowledge of campdocs.com preferred.
Physical/Mental Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
• Deliver programs in venues that can be cold, wet, hot, or dirty; work outside in all weather
• Position requires sufficient eyesight, hearing, and physical stamina to fulfill successfully the requirements of the Joseph Conrad Overnight Sailing Summer Camp program and the Community Sailing Program.
• Weekend and holiday work assignments are required