Director of Coaching/Lead Coach
New Orleans , LA 70124
Southern Yacht Club is looking to hire a full-time, year-round Director of Coaching.
Established in 1849, Southern Yacht Club is located on the Southshore of Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans, LA. With a newly rebuilt clubhouse in 2009, our facility offers dry storage for member boats, a dining room with a spectacular view of Lake Pontchartrain, a fitness center and 6-lane competition pool. We have a great teaching environment with classrooms and quick access to our sailing area. Our sailors have won four Olympic medals and numerous national and international championships. For more than 150 years, Southern Yacht Club has always maintained a tradition of keen competition, sportsmanship and hospitality. In addition, growth in the biotech, medical, film and technology sectors has made New Orleans the fastest-growing community in the 25 to 35 year-old age demographic. The history, culture and food make it a fascinating city in which to live and work. Our Sailing Program offers year-round racing and clinics including junior programs, summer sailing camp and adult learn-to-sail. The Sailing Program fleet consists of 27 Optimists, 12 420s, 5 Sunfish, 8 Flying Scots, 2 Viper 640s, a J27 and 10 Coach Boats.
The candidate should be a leader who is highly organized and self-motivated with excellent communication skills. A large part of this position includes communicating with parents, members, sailors, and other staff respectfully and effectively.
The position will include coaching the Advanced Optimist/Junior Racing Teams and working with sailors transitioning to other fleets. The team currently has a lot of talent, interest and enthusiasm, and we are looking for a strong coach to continue to lead the group.
Responsibilities include the following:
• Assist Waterfront Director in organizing and managing Junior Sailing programs
• Coach Advanced Optimist and Junior Racing Team practices
• Travel to regattas as coach and assist with organizing club regattas
• Aid in the development of High School Programs
• Help with fleet maintenance
• Design a goal-directed curriculum for junior fleets with continued advancement of skills and performance
• Develop ideas targeted for increased registration and retention of the junior fleets from beginner to racing sailor
• Effectively communicate with parents and coworkers
• Advanced Optimist/420 Coaching Experience
• High-Level Dinghy Racing Experience
• US Sailing Level 1 (or higher) Instructor Certified
• CPR/First Aid Certified
The position will be a full-time salaried position with benefits.
Please submit a resume: firstname.lastname@example.org