Nyack Boat Club
59 Gedney St
Nyack, NY 10960
The Nyack Boat Club (NBC), the premier sailing club on the Hudson River, is looking for an enthusiastic, charismatic and qualified Director of Sailing (DOS) for its adult sailing program. NBC is a 250 plus member sailing club located on the waterfront of Nyack NY, 40 minutes north of midtown Manhattan. Our adult sailing program, the Ideal Sailing Program, is focused on engaging new and experienced sailors alike. Program goals are to encourage them to build their skills through various programs and to increase the amount of sailing on the beautiful Hudson River. Ideal sailing, now in its sophomore year, is looking to build on the success of this past summer.
• The Director of Sailing (DOS) will oversee the daily implementation of the Ideal Sailing Program.
• Effectively communicate with program participants, keeping them engaged and excited about the program. Be able to diffuse difficult customer service situations, be proactive when issues arise, and implement solutions.
• Facilitate the growth and enhancement of Ideal Sailing and aid in the marketing of the program. Be able to speak to the benefits of the program, NBC, and sailing in general.
• Maintain a schedule and proactively develop and improve the delivery of strong programs within Ideal Sailing, including basic sailing instruction, women's sailing, both spinnaker and non-spinnaker racing, advanced sail training, regattas, and open fleet sails.
• Manage the daily operations of the club owned boats, ensuring the readiness and cleanliness of the club’s six Ideal 18s. Manage the check-in and out procedures for the boats and do regular maintenance ensuring the boats are always in good repair. This includes commissioning the boats at the beginning of the season.
• Be able to set up a race course and run races (and event regattas) for the various programs within Ideal Sailing. Added bonus if you can coach our teams that compete in regional Ideal 18 regattas.
• Develop and prepare instructional materials for teaching sailing and perform the role of Sailing Instructor including chalk talks and debrief sessions.
• Facilitate the growth of the Ideal Sailing Program and aid in the marketing for the program. Be able to speak to the benefits of the program, NBC and sailing in general.
• Operate motorized chase boats and provide on-the-water oversight for the Ideal 18s.
Three years in a supervisory role.
Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
Some experience in program development, management, and evaluation
Cruising and Racing Experience
Be able to work within a team and/or independently; and to complete tasks on deadline.
US Sailing instructor/coach, Basic Keelboat, Cruising or Bareboat Instructor certification(s)
USCG Launch Driver.
This is a seasonal position that would start on or around May 1 to prepare teaching materials and commissioning the boats. The position will go to 40 hours a week during the summer season through Labor Day. Addition work time including winterizing the fleet can be discussed.
Employer Contact Information
Nyack Boat Club
59 Gedney St