Sail MV, an island non-profit organization dedicated to maintaining and growing the maritime heritage of Martha’s Vineyard is seeking an Executive Director. Sail MV began by teaching island children to sail 25 years ago, and has grown into a multi-faceted organization, and is an integral part of the local community. Sail MV currently teaches 450 children to sail each summer; coaches and outfits the island’s high school sailing team; teaches maritime related courses in the high school; teaches sustainability courses in the high school and in the community; offers rowing opportunities for adults and children; conducts an annual captain’s Coast Guard licensing course; enjoys educational affiliations with local boat builders; offers adult sailing courses; and hosts a large annual multi-day regatta.
- Management: experience, preferably in the non-profit sector, with a proven track record of effective team building, staff collaboration, setting and achieving goals
- Fundraising and Development: Ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures, and knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector
- Community, Volunteer and Board Relations: Ability to interface and engage with diverse volunteer and donor groups; skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers; past success in working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate board member relationships
- Financial: Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Organization: Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Communication: Strong interpersonal verbal communications and public speaking skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Strategic Planning: Ability to convey a vision of Sail MV’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Passion and Integrity: Passion, integrity, a positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed
Education: A bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent prior experience
Employer Contact Information
Sail Martha's Vineyard
Connecting Island Youth to the Sea & Building Skills to Last a Lifetime.
We encourage. We teach. We mentor. We guide. We emphasize respect. We are a safe place.