Norfolk Yacht and Country Club is looking to hire a Head Coach starting in 2019. This position is a year-round, full-time, salaried position reporting to the Waterfront Director.
NYCC is in a major growth phase and is looking for the right applicant with a proven record of strong coaching and communication skills to enhance all adult waterfront programs and propel our Jr Sailing Program to the next level with Opti sailors ranging from Green Fleet beginners to those competing regularly in national USODA regattas.
The Head Coach will provide high-quality year round coaching to junior sailors, Opti racers and club members, maintain sail and powerboats and work with the Waterfront Director on day-to-day operations.
The Head Coach may also coach a high school team that practices out of NYCC during the Fall and Spring.
The Head Coach will consult on planning, promotion, and organization of club-hosted marine events and regattas. He or she will consult with the Waterfront Director on the selection and evaluation of summer staff, assist the Waterfront Director with year-end report of programs, operations and staff and assist in the continued development of NYCC Junior and Adult Waterfront Programs.
• Strong communication skills, including working with parents, club members and staff.
• Skilled in leadership, organization, time management and administrative tasks.
• Ability to instruct a wide variety of students at differing skill levels.
• Create and maintain a competitive racing environment.
• Plan and deliver effective sailing and powerboating lessons to both youth and adult members.
• Experience with coaching small boat-handling skills and tactics, preferably Optis, Flying Juniors, club 420s.
• Travel to away regattas.
• Available to work days, evenings and weekends.
• Make timely requests to the Waterfront Director for necessary equipment, supplies and repairs.
• Adhere to NYCC’s safety protocol, manage risks. Prepare written reports of any accidents.
• Must be US Sailing Level 1 or equivalent (Level 2 preferred)
• College sailing experience preferred
• Must be First Aid/CPR certified
• Able to coach team racing and fleet racing on an advanced level
Pay is commensurate with experience.
Please send resumes to:
Employer Contact Information
Norfolk Yacht Club
7001 Hampton Blvd