The SSA Junior Sailing Program Head Coach is appointed by the Junior Program Director in consultation with the Junior Program Committee Chair and SSA’s Board of Governors and reports to the Junior Program Director. The Head Coach ensures the smooth running of the Junior Program by providing high-quality coaching of program participants and club members, coordinating the work of program coaches, and maintaining Program equipment (sail and power boats and associated equipment).
• Provide on-the-water instruction and coaching to SSA’s Junior Program participants, including summer program and spring/fall Optimist programs. Serve as lead coach for high school sailing.
• Report facts of any known safety or behavior incidents to Junior Program Director as soon as practical.
• Work with the Junior Program Director to communicate with parents and children as well as other club members in a positive and constructive environment to further the mission of the SSA Junior Program.
• Assist the Junior Program Director in implementing safety training to all instructors/coaches and students.
• Assist the Junior Program Director in hiring ten or more sailing instructors for summer and high school programs.
• Ensure that instructors follow best practices with regard to instruction by assisting them with course materials and techniques of coaching.
• Manage the schedules of instructors/coaches.
• Lead coaching staff as a positive and professional role model.
eport facts of any known safety or behavior incidents to Junior Program Director as soon as practical.
• Maintain and repair, or organize the repair and maintenance of, the program assets. This includes sailboats as well as powerboats and trailers.
Assist the Junior Program Director in implementing training to all Coaches and students in the SSA Junior Safety Program.
• Other duties as the Junior Program Director assigns as needed.
Employer Contact Information
Severn Sailing Association
311 First Street