Opti & 420 Coaching Positions, Adult Instructor and STEM Education Counselors
Belmar, NJ 07719
Application Closing Date
The Friends of Belmar Harbor, Inc of Belmar, New Jersey is seeking highly motivated, organized, and enthusiastic persons to be part of our coaching staff for the summer of 2019. F.O.B.H. is also looking for enthusiastic sailors, in addition to being organized and motivated, so as to be role models for the in-coming Jr. Sailors. The ideal candidates will have experience working with youth aged 8-15 and have a strong background and knowledge of the Optimist, Open Bics, 420s, Hartley 12s and Hobies.
For over ten years, we have been teaching children to enjoy the lifelong sport. Safe, responsible boating is a priority for the organization. F.O.B.H is a volunteer non-profit organization. To that end the Junior Sailing Program encourages teamwork, sportsmanship, volunteering and a commitment to excellent youth sailing programs. We offer a wide variety of programs with seamless transitions between levels. We encourage children to participate in watersports while teaching them the skills needed to excel. We expect that our students play an active role in our organization. Summer at the Jersey Shore, beautiful beaches and only a train ride away from NYC. Tons of sailing opportunities on the Barnegat Bay throughout the week after work. VERY COMPETITIVE SALARY BASED UPON BACKGROUND
* Current US Sailing Level 1 or 2 instructor certification or equivalent (RYA cert, etc) OR willingness to take and pass Level 1 course by the end of June 2019
* Current First Aid/CPR certification
* 3+ years (summers/seasons) sailing experience
* 1+ years (summers/seasons) teaching sailing or participating in an instructor-in-training program or similar
* Positive, enthusiastic and flexible attitude
* Strong problem solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on changes in weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
* Have a strong interest in environmental education (STEM)
* A passion for sailing, the ocean, the environment and working with kids
Other Considerations for sailing instruction positions:
* Other teaching and youth development experience, especially with underprivileged or urban youth.