Southold, NY 11971
Application Closing Date
The Southold Yacht Club (SYC) is a small, family-oriented club located on the
North Fork of Eastern Long Island. SYC’s Junior Sailing Program (JSP) is one of the
most comprehensive programs in the region and offers 8 weeks of instruction to
over 100 students ages 6 through 18.
SYC is seeking a Head Sailing Instructor to manage and lead approximately 15
instructors and junior instructors involved with the JSP.
The Head Sailing Instructor position is full-time (Monday-Friday), generally on site
with occasional off site coaching at regional regattas, for the duration of the JSP.
● reviewing and implementing program goals with the instructor staff,
● assisting instructor staff in directing interesting and meaningful sessions on
the water and in the classroom,
● monitoring the daily use and treatment of SYCs sailboat and safety boat
fleets by both instructor staff and students,
● teaching 2 – 3 JSP courses (with another member of the instructor staff if
● ensuring that the highest safety standards are met on and off the water
● establishing and maintaining respectful relationships among the instructor
staff, students, and parents,
● encouraging student development and enthusiasm by promoting
participation in regional junior regattas,
● communicating any JSP concerns with the Sailing School Director and/or
the Sailing School Committee chairmen, and
● assisting the Sailing School Director as needed.
Pay is a competitive base salary commensurate with experience.
● US Sailing Level 1 Certification (Level 2 or 3 preferred) with current US
● Current CPR/First Aid certification
● NYS Boating License or US Powerboat Safe Powerboat Handling
● Demonstrated maturity and responsibility
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Extensive sailing knowledge and experience
● Strong background in junior or higher level sailing programs
● Current driver’s license and experience in trailering boats preferred.
Please provide resume by January 31, 2018 to email@example.com
All submissions will be acknowledged.