Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club’s education affiliate KSEA is looking to hire a “Head Sailing Instructor” for the 2019 summer season.
Established in 1920, Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club is located in the beautiful town of Blue Hill, Maine less than an hour’s drive from Acadia National Park. Web site: www.kycbluehill.com
The main focus of the club has always been “Sailing” both racing and teaching. The sailing program offers a well-established junior program, summer sailing camps and adult learn-to-sail programs. The first paid sailing instructor was hired in 1946. The growth and success of the Junior Program in the late 1990's led the KYC Council to discuss and finally (in 2003) establish a separate and somewhat independent corporation to run our sailing school. It is called the Kollegewidgwok Sailing Education Association to create the catchy acronym, KSEA, by which it is generally known. This past summer some 250 students participated in the various classes. The Program fleet consists of 20 Optimists and 12 420s, 1 Bulls Eye (a second one may be on the way), and 6 Coach Boats.
The “Head Sailing Instructor” is expected to execute the teaching program working with a staff of 4 Senior Instructors and 4 Junior Instructors besides teaching him/herself. Employment starts June 10 and ends on August 23, 2019.
The Head Sailing Instructor is responsible for the safe, smooth, and organized daily operation of the KSEA sailing program, including all on the water activities, adult programming, and special events. The Head Instructor is the chief among all sailing and rowing instructors and coaches. He/she will report to and work closely with the Club Program Director. Coordinate parent volunteer and all instructors throughout the summer. This is a full time seasonal position, beginning 6/10 and ending 8/23.
• Ensuring grounds and equipment are prepped for classes each morning, and that all equipment and coach boats are stored properly at the end of each day
• Teaching the afternoon advanced racing classes
• Coordinate all race team regatta logistics with the Program Director and travels with the teams.
• Supervising hauling and launch of equipment at the beginning and end of the season; tracking maintenance of the fleets in season
• Upholding program safety policies and high staff expectations
• Providing sailing instructors and coaches with support and feedback
• Helping to build the adult sailing program, teaching adult sailing classes
• With the Program Director, planning and executing annual special events like Pirate Day, awards ceremony and end of season potluck.
We are looking for a candidate who is:
• Organized, responsible, safety-minded
• To explore opportunities for partnerships (e.g. team racing) with other local programs
• Excellent at communicating with adults, peers, and young sailors
• Knowledgeable about sailing and boating
• Able to lead by example, setting a high bar for staff reliability and consistency
• US Sailing Level 3 Head Instructor certified
Qualified applicants are invited to fill out and submit their resume and If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employer Contact Information
Kollegewidgwok Sailing Education Association
44 KYC Lane