Ida Lewis Jr Sailing Program Director (2020 Season)
Ida Lewis yacht Club
170 Wellington Avenue
Newport, RI 02840
Application Closing Date
This position will begin in September of this year for the 2020 season. It is a full-time salaried position (approximately 40 hrs/wk) from mid-June to mid-August. The position is also salaried part-time from mid-August to mid-June with an average of 8 hours offsite per month to prepare for the season ahead. Sailing classes run for 8 consecutive weeks and the Program Director will be responsible for one week of setup prior to classes beginning and one week of breakdown after classes end.
The Ida Lewis Yacht Club Junior Sailing Program has on average 120 sailors throughout the summer, and the Program Director is responsible for the overall success of the program including maintaining safety and ensuring a fun and educational sailing summer. Along with overseeing 120 sailors, the Program Director also manages a staff of 5 Senior Instructors, 1-2 Junior Instructors, and shares the responsibility of managing 3 Opti and 2 420 coaches with Sail Newport for the Brenton Cove Race Program. The Program Director executes, reviews and supplements Ida Lewis’s sailing curriculum, with collaboration from Club Officers, parents, and instructors. The sailing curriculum encompasses 7 different levels of sailing (including Brenton Cove), from novice (6-7 year-olds) to advanced racers (16-18 year-olds). The Program Director is responsible for the hiring and assignment of instructors to particular classes, with the approval from the Commodore, Vice Commodore, and Jr. Committee members. The Program Director also places students in classes appropriate for their age and level of experience. Throughout the year and the summer, the Program Director acts as a liaison between the students and parents, as well as the instructors, General Manager, and Club Officers. The Program Director must be extremely organized and be able to multi-task and communicate
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage the sailing program with the number one priority of safety for all sailors.
• Interview and hire sailing instructors and assign them to appropriate classes to teach, along with assistants for each class.
• Provide sailing educational materials that are developmentally appropriate for the 10 different sailing classes within the sailing program.
• The Program Director is expected to be onsite throughout the summer sailing sessions and also available at various times of the year to assist students and parents with issues pertaining to the sailing program.
• Assist instructors in the design and implementation of effective lessons plans that pique the curiosity of all learners through auditory, visual, and kinesthetic means both on and off the water.
• Work with the Club Officers on administrative tasks, i.e.: class schedule, class/program size, boat-maintenance, registration.
• Work with the office manager to answer any questions pertaining to class registration and appropriate placement of sailors.
• Organize the “set-up” days before the program begins and ensure that the Club is in top-notch condition to begin sailing classes.
• Organize and execute two “Fun” Nights for parents & kids during the summer.
• Create a variety of activities i.e. the boat-building contest and special events during the summer to encourage additional teambuilding and creative activities for the sailors.
• Occasionally help facilitate private lessons for sailors.
• Help coaches organize race schedule and logistics of attending regattas.
• Organize/order trophies for the end of the summer Awards’ Night.
• Act as Master of Ceremonies at Awards’ Night.
• Work with the Club Manager to ensure that all boats and other assets that support the sailing program are in good working order.
• Work with Club Manager to organize “clean-up” at the end of the season.
• Create a needs list for the following summer.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to the Ida Lewis Jr Sailing Chairman, Veronica Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org with a CC to ILYC’s general manager, Morgan Tysor: email@example.com
Employer Contact Information
Ida Lewis yacht Club
170 Wellington Avenue