Jr Sailing Instructors - Summer 2020
Stamford Yacht Club
97 Ocean Drive West
Stamford, CT 06902
Application Closing Date
The Stamford Yacht Club (SYC) was founded in 1890 and supports a long and exciting tradition of sailing and racing on Long Island Sound that includes the annual Vineyard Race, Valeur-Jensen Stamford Denmark Race, the 2019 Championship of Champions and other competitions. We are located on the water in Stamford, CT and are seeking talented, dedicated, motivated and hard-working individuals to work in our junior sailing program for the 2020 summer season.
SYC is accepting applications for the following positions:
• Head Instructor
• Junior Sailing Administrator
• Opti Race Coach
• Beginner/Intermediate Opti Instructor
• Club 420 Race Coach
• Beginner/Intermediate Double-handed Instructor (Feva/420)
• Recreational Coach
SYC has a rich sailing tradition and an active junior sailing program of approximately 85 children ranging from 6 to 17 years old. Our Opti and 420 teams compete throughout Long Island Sound and New England. We also offer a recreational program for intermediate and advanced sailors using Hobie Waves, RS Fevas, Ideal 18s and J105/big boats. We have a well maintained fleet of inflatable RIBs and Boston whalers.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is competitive and based on experience, certifications and prior work history, there is potential for end of season performance bonuses and private lesson income.
Dates of employment: approximately nine (9) weeks beginning June 15th (TBD, based on the JSA calendar). End date is flexible depending on position and end of summer/school plans.
Contact: Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions: Contact the junior sailing chair at email@example.com
A passion for all sailing, a concern for safety and respect for the water, a maturity and professionalism to work with fellow instructors, staff, parents and sailors of all ages and abilities, and skills in communicating with sailors, parents, supervisors and club management.
Candidates with a physical fitness training background or environmental education / STEM background will receive strong consideration.
• US Sailing Level 1 or international equivalent for all positions
• US Sailing Level 2 or international equivalent preferred for race coaches and head instructor positions
• US Safe Powerboat Handling certification (course offered in the spring)
• CT Safe Boating license required (course offered in the spring)
• First Aid and CPR certifications required by US Sailing
• First-year instructors intending to complete Level 1 and Safe Powerboat Handling certification prior to June 2020 will be considered
• US Sailing Safe Sport
Employer Contact Information
Stamford Yacht Club
Tanon - General Manager