Annapolis Yacht Club
12 Dock St
Annapolis, MD 21401
The Annapolis Yacht Club is a year-round private yacht club providing programs for its members, their families and their guests. The Club supports and endorses boating, boating education, dining and provides social and recreational amenities that satisfy its membership. The Club is family oriented and maintains an inviting atmosphere that encourages members to make it their first choice for entertaining their family, friends and associates. The Club strives to be the “preferred community” for its members.
The AYC Junior Fleet’s mission is to provide a fun and educational program for youth interested in sailing and racing. We seek to impart a love of sailing as a life sport while providing the fundamental skills necessary for participants to advance in the sport of sailing as far as their desire, skill, and hard work may take them.
AYC's Junior Sailing Programs are recognized for their commitment to providing young sailors the skills and behaviors that will serve them to be successful on and off the water. The AYC Junior Program hosts year-round sailing both at home and abroad. The main focus of our instruction takes place during the summer program, but racing practice and competition keeps us busy all year. We have programs available for all levels of sailor. Whether you are looking for an introduction to sailing for a 6 year old, want to cruise or race a J/22, or want to take your racing to the next level in National and International competition – we have a coach and program that will help you reach your goals.
Today, AYC is at full membership (1600 regular members) with very active social, racing, and cruising programs. Large international events such as the Star Class World Championship, Rolex International Women’s Keelboat Championship, and many North American championships are hosted every year at AYC. Sailing Center lot is filled with one design boats (J/22s, J/24s, Etchells, Stars, J/70s, J/80s) while the in-the-water boat slips are in high demand. AYC is known worldwide thanks to the members who are prominent in participating in, promoting, and organizing the sport of sailboat racing, as well as those who opt to leisurely cruise the waters of the Chesapeake and beyond.
The candidate should be a leader who is highly organized and self-motivated with excellent communication skills. A large part of this position will be communicating with parents, sailors, yacht club members, and other crew respectfully and effectively.
The primary focus of this person’s coaching will be on the year-round Optimist Program including helping with High School Sailing (fleet and team racing) one day a week. In addition, the Optimist Program Manager will help with program organization, office administration, and maintenance. The position will include a lot of travel for coaching, as well as professional development and program endorsement throughout the year. The Optimist Program Manager is expected to aid the Sailing Director and the 420 Program Manager in the general running of the Junior Sailing Program, its events, programs, race teams and maintenance of all fleets. Throughout the year, Annapolis Yacht Club hosts many local and national regattas and all of the Sailing Program crew help run those events to the highest quality possible.
REPORTING and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Reports directly to the AYC Sailing Director.
• Teach team and individual sailing skills; Provide sailors with an “on water” experience appropriate to their level of experience, age, and weather conditions.
• Create and maintain a competitive racing environment. Provide and maintain a positive, safe environment for learning and sailing.
• Assist as required in the preparation and staging of the junior and adult regattas. Market and promote all junior sailing programs.
• Manage risks and be aware of safety issues related to sailing and racing. Design and operate an effective safety program at sea, and on land, taking responsibility for maintaining instructor/student safety ratios. Prepare a written report of any accidents.
• Ensure that compliance with the regulations governed by the following is met: AYC Safety Policies, Standards and Guidelines, AYC Policies and Operational Procedures, governmental and affiliated organization regulations and standards.
• Make timely request for necessary equipment, supplies, repairs and maintenance through the Dockmaster and/or Sailing Director.
• Plan regular, adequate testing procedures in rating steps, to ensure all sailors the chance to demonstrate and achieve ratings for which they are qualified.
• Plan and conduct special sailing events as requested in coordination with overall club activities.
• Contribute to an environment that fosters respect with all Coast Guard, state and local laws and policies and procedures.
• Be a strong role model to help ensure our junior sailors conduct themselves in accordance with the Corinthian Spirit during practice and in competition.
• Be able to develop and implement a modern and effective curriculum to create skilled and confident youths who will respect others, care for their equipment, and be willing to help fellow sailors on and off the water.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Fully trained in the teaching methods of the Optimist sailboat, including Optimist Team and Fleet Racing on an advance level.
• Proven personal experience and achievement in the sport of Sailing
• Possess the personal skills for interacting with both adults and youth
• Capable of working with little direct supervision
• Strong communication skills, including working with the public, parents, youth club members and crew.
• Available to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Candidates require a professional manner and enthusiasm for the private club environment.
• Attentiveness to detail and coolness under pressure
• Must be First Aid/AED/CPR and US Sailing Level 1 or higher certified
• Salary Commensurate with experience
• Health/Vision/Dental 401K
• Paid Vacation
• Eligible for Christmas Bonus
• PTO off to sail / coach
If Sailing and Coaching are a way of life for you, please send your resume and cover letter to:
Employer Contact Information
Annapolis Yacht Club