The Alamitos Bay Yacht Club Junior Sailing Program is looking for Sailing Coach candidates with demonstrated ability to coach youth sailors of all levels. Current programs include Naples Sabots, Optis, Lasers and CFJs as well as High School Sailing teams in CFJs. Coaching experience in 29ers is a plus. To be a part of this coaching team, potential candidates must show enthusiasm for sailing and youth development, be self-motivated, and be adept at working with all types of learners and needs. Candidates must know how to balance professionalism while working with youth.
• Work as a team player to build and develop the sailing programs to assist all sailors in achieving their goals;
• Act as a role model at all times, providing a safe environment to sailors on and off the water;
• Play a leadership role in the execution of club programs, clinics and regattas, ensure a continuous and positive presence around the club, contribute towards growing the camaraderie and team spirit within and among the fleets for maximum participation and enjoyment.
•Prepare lesson programs and plans, lead organized and effective yet fun drills and activities both on and off the water. Develop curriculum that is aimed at continuous improvement of both the sailor and the club;
• Prepare sailors for targeted events chosen by the program
• Teach sailors how to maintain their equipment and prepare it for events and racing;
• Must be willing to travel to events as deemed necessary by the Sailing Director.
• The ideal candidate will know how to make sailing fun;
• Build the ambition and energy to continue growing the sailing programs for enjoyment and racing, encouraging sailors to achieve success at all levels.
• Demonstrate enthusiasm, professionalism, strong communication skills, committed work ethic, and a true passion for youth sailing and development.
• Maintain the highest level of awareness and safety regarding weather, motorboats, class organization, personal discipline and conduct.
Certifications & Experience
• Must have racing and/or coaching experience with one or more of the following platforms: Optimists, Naples Sabots, CFJs, 420s, Lasers, 29ers, and/or Nacra 15s;
• US Sailing Level 1 Sailing Instructor certification, current First Aid and CPR certification
• CA Dept of Boating and Waterways “Boater Card” certification
Employer Contact Information
Alamitos Bay Yacht Club
7201 East Ocean Blvd
Alamitos Bay Yacht Club was founded in 1924 and is one of the premiere dinghy sail boat racing Clubs in the world. We have a modern Clubhouse facility and our paved boat yard is home to two hundred plus sailboats owned by our members who are active racers and cruisers. We also have excellent beach access from our western gate for you to conveniently enjoy the tranquility of Alamitos Bay's waters.
ABYC's primary focus is to provide a family friendly atmosphere where we can get together to share our love of sailing. We have a very active junior program for those sailors from 5 to 18 years of age. For young and old sailors we host 14 regularly scheduled regattas, the largest being the famous Turkey Day Regatta. We also host 5 to 10 championship regattas which include regional, national, North American and world championships. These regattas include classes for dinghy, keel, and multihull sailboats. Many of our members are national, North American, world and Olympic champions. We also have world renowned races, all staffed by member volunteers.
Our volunteer culture is spearheaded by four committees: Race Management Committee (RMC), Social Advisory Committee (SAC), Junior Advisory Committee (JAC) and Membership Support Group (MSG). These hard working groups are a big part of our consistency and excellence. Please contact the committee chairs if you would like to become involved.
Our easy to navigate website is a great way to find out all that is happening at our secluded end of the peninsula oasis. In addition to our website, we communicate our events through weekly emails and continually update our Facebook page. Our monthly Club newsletter, the Sou'Wester, is published electronically, to detail the highlights of races and events that occur during every month of the year.