Bay Harbor Yacht Club is a private club located on Lake Michigan's Little Traverse Bay near Petoskey, Charlevoix and Harbor Springs. Bay Harbor offers sailing programs off its own private beach for members of all ages.
BHYC offers regularly scheduled classes for ages five and older. Our classes run for 8 weeks, from mid-June to mid-August. In addition to sailing right from the club, we shuttle youth every week to compete in an evening of sailing locally. Our fleet includes Sunfish, Precision, Optis, Lasers, and 420s. In addition to regularly scheduled programs, the club offers private sailing lessons and sailing assistance daily from June to Labor Day.
The Sailing Director will be responsible for running the day to day aspects of the program, including:
• Overseeing safe use of boats by members and staff
• Instructing staff in the proper maintenance and care of watercraft at the beach
• Managing the existing sailing instructors and hiring additional as needed
• Developing and implementing lesson plans and sailing programs
• US Sailing Level 1 (2 or 3 preferred)
• Sailing/coaching experience and a strong background in youth or collegiate sailing programs
• Current CPR and First Aid Certificates. Ideally, also a valid Red Cross Lifeguard Training and Certification.
• Commitment to safety
• Passionate about sailing, teaching and working with kids
• Responsible, reliable and self-motivated
• Manage the Bay Harbor Yacht Club sailing program
• Supervise and instruct the BHYC sailing staff. Seek, interview, and hire additional sailing staff when necessary.
• Communicate with Aquatics Director and members regularly
• Coordinate with Aquatics Director maintenance of sails, boats, and docks to keep members and guest safe during usage
• Keeps boats up to date and clean for proper usage
• Informs participants on proper rules of the water and maintains safe sailing practices
• Teaches all basic and relevant sailing procedures
• May assist and organize trips to regattas and excursions
• Maintain all files, forms, and curricula for the continuity of the program
• Communicate and coordinate activities, goals, and schedules, to sailing members and appropriate parties
Employer Contact Information
Bay Harbor Yacht Club
4300 Vista Drive