Sailing Director/Head Instructor
Collingswood, NJ 08108
Security Clearance Required
Come Work at Cooper River Yacht Club in South Jersey. Conveniently located near Philadelphia, we sail on a protected small lake in Cooper River Park. We are seeking a Sailing Director to supervise the Adult and Junior Learn-to-Sail programs. Take leadership of our growing community sailing program and still spend a good amount of time on the water!
Job Description :
The successful candidate will spit their time between on the water sailing instruction and management duties required to maintain the program and enhance customer experience.
This position is seasonal, but full time 40hrs/week. Flexibility on hours is helpful as we have evening adult classes in addition to full day youth programs.
1. Reports to Yacht Club Training Committee Head
2. Maintains a safe waterfront environment for members and students. Enforces safety policy as needed.
2. Provides leadership for instructors and students enrolled in CRYC program.
3. Facilitate curriculum implementation and development with input from Training Committee (Lead instructors are ex-officio members of training committee).
4. Responsible for managing staffing levels for courses, new hires to be approved by Training Committee Head and new positions the CRYC Board.
5. Managerial Duties:
-Coordinate scheduling of instructors and club stewards to ensure efficient coverage.
-Sign off on instructor/steward time sheets.
-Front line customer management is a part of the job (complaints, rescheduling requests , etc.) so good communication is essential.
-Be available at the start of most new class sessions to handle payment/registration issues
6. Training/Community Sailing Fleet maintenance - Boat repair is not required, but timely reporting, removal of unusable boats from service, and arranging of repairs with the Yacht Club is required. Repairs up to the candidate's level of comfort are encouraged. Confirm all instructors and stewards are logging use and repair needs of fleet.
7. Teach up to 2 Learn-to-Sail or Youth sessions per week! - The fun part, spend time on the water, partner with new instructors or lead advanced classes with lower enrollment. Instruction duties will be adjusted based on program workload.
• Administrative and interpersonal skills commensurate with a role that will interact with
parents, students and the general public on a daily basis.
• Experience teaching basic sailing
• Current First Aid and CPR certifications
• Strong demonstrated understanding of sailing and power boating
• 2 – 5 years of sailing program management and/or coaching/teaching experience
• US Sailing Small Boat Sailing Instructor Level 1 Certification (Level 2 or 3 preferred)
• NJ Safe Boating Certificate or License (or home state if out of state resident)
Compensation: Competitive, Commensurate with Experience