Sailing Instructor and First Aid Director
Mystic, CT 06355
Mystic Seaport is seeking a sailing instructor who will also serve as the First Aid Director for our Joseph Conrad Overnight Summer Sailing Camp. During this residential program campers sleep aboard an historic full-rigged ship, the Joseph Conrad, learn to sail Dyer Dhows during the day, and participate in fun activities at night, including a boat ride on the Mystic River, 19th- century “zip-lining” (Breeches Buoy life-saving re-enactment), a Planetarium show, climbing the rigging, and more. For more information visit http://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/summer-camps/conrad/. This position is seasonal from June-August 2017, and is responsible for assisting in the daily operations of the program, and coordinating the first aid program. In addition, this position teaches sailing to campers, helps to supervise Sailing Assistants, supervises and implements evening activities, and sleeps onboard the historic vessel Joseph Conrad.
• Assists in day-to-day direction of program
• Instruct campers in sailing, rowing, seamanship, and maritime history
• Administers first aid and dispenses prescriptions
• Maintains first aid supplies and log
• Keeps accurate records, in particular the heath records for all staff, volunteers, leaders, and trainees
• Maintains close communication with group leaders and museum personnel to ensure smooth program operation
• Related responsibilities as assigned
To Apply: Please submit a Mystic Seaport application ( https://www.mysticseaport.org/wp-content/uploads/Mystic-Seaport-Employment-Application.pdf ), resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org OR to Mystic Seaport PO Box 6000 Mystic, CT 06355 Attn: Human Resources. An EOE.
• At least 21 years of age
• Current American Red Cross certification in Standard First Aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (the long versions of each) or their equivalents
• Previous residential program and sail instruction experience
• Ability to work with young people
• Current American Red Cross Advanced Life Saving is preferred