Since its founding in 1951, AUSTIN YACHT CLUB is the place in Central Texas where members and guests can find a fun, uniquely Austin version of what a “Yacht Club” should be - a great community of sailing enthusiasts with excellence in sailing skills, racing, and training. AYC’s facilities are located on to the main basin of Lake Travis in west Austin, Texas.
The AYC is seeking a Sailing / Program Director who will be responsible for the planning, organizing, and implementing sail training activities at the club. The director is a full-time, paid employee of AYC and is the staff person primarily responsible for working with and supporting the AYC Sailing coach and the Sail Training Commander. The Director reports directly to the AYC General Manager and is reviewed by the Board of Directors and in particular the Sail Training Commander.
- Experience in sailing management, marketing or communication is desirable.
- Highest US Sailing Certified Instructor Level Certification.
- Red Cross Certification in CPR, AED and First Aid.
- US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructor Certification desirable.
1. Sail Training. The Director is responsible for working directly with the Sail Training Commander and Sailing Coach to plan, advertise, staff, coordinate and support all junior and adult training activities including junior and adult clinics, summer camps, PB&J program, private lessons and adult training series. The Director should focus on building participation across all AYC members and attracting both junior and adult potential new members to AYC through sail training programs.
2. Equipment and Facilities Management, Maintenance and Usage. The Director in conjunction with the Sailing Coach is responsible for overseeing the maintenance of all AYC sail training boats and other equipment to support sail training activities. In addition, the Director shall work with the Sail Training Commander to ensure that the inventory is appropriate to support current and future anticipated sail training needs. An accurate inventory list of sail training boats and equipment should be readily available.
3. Administrative Functions. The Director shall maintain regular office hours on a schedule to be determined in coordination with the AYC GM. Administrative duties will be required to plan, advertise and set-up online registration systems for sail training events as well as to communicate with sail training participants, instructors, volunteers and other staff. The Director shall work with the Sail Training Commander to establish an annual budget for the Board approval and is expected to attend regularly scheduled monthly AYC Board of Directors meeting.
Skills and Capabilities:
• Experience at instruction in all aspects of sailing from the first time sailor on up to the highest levels of the sport including, collegiate, national, international and Olympic level coaching. This will include but not limited to all levels of seamanship, save boating and advanced racing tactics to the and overall boating safety to the membership.
• Advanced rules knowledge of all Racing Rules of Sailing by World Sailing including Race and Regatta Administration.
• The ability to teach and communicate all levels of seamanship, boating and advanced racing tactics to the and overall boating safety to the membership.
• Demonstrated success as Program Leader with the ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously.
• Utilizes creative and entrepreneurial approach towards continuous improvement in the overall sailing program and the ability to raise funds for such programs.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with members, both adult and youth as well as the public when needed.
• Solid program planning and organizational skills along with excellent calendar scheduling abilities.
Please submit your resume and cover letter covering your past experiences. Feel free to include your sailing CV along with your professional sailing involvements. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Final day for submission is September 15, 2019.