Sailing Program & Waterfront Director, Summer 2020 (Sachems Head YC, Guilford CT)
Sachems Head Yacht Club
Chimney Corner Circle
Guilford, CT 06437
Security Clearance Required
Sachem's Head Yacht Club (SHYC) is located on the beautiful Connecticut shore of Long Island Sound, in Guilford, Connecticut. SHYC's JR Sailing Program is a successful, long-running sailing program with approximately 60 sailors from ages 6 to 16. The JR program’s strengths are in fostering a love of sailing, respect for the water, and teaching sailing, seamanship, and racing. Our waterfront includes launch service from sunrise to sunset, 6 club owned 420, 6 RS Feva, 1 club owned Sonar, and active racing fleets of private Optis, Sonars, and Laser, and floating docks for member usage.
NEW Sailing Program & Waterfront Director Position: We are seeking a knowledgeable candidate who is proactive, organized, responsible, high-performing, and professional. The primary role of this summer position is to manage the junior sailing program and to manage the club’s waterfront areas, including club owned boats, launch drivers, and docks. This person will ensure that our JR Sailing Programs run smoothly and safely, and ensure that our sailors are receiving high quality instruction and race training. This person will ensure that our launch is operating well and that drivers are on duty, safe, helpful, and courteous. This person will oversee the successful operation and maintenance of our Club Owned Sonar programs/usage. This person will ensure that the waterfront areas and our boats are in great shape for all to enjoy all summer. This person will be friendly and helpful to members, work as a team with all SHYC staff, and proactively contribute to making the SHYC Summer Season a terrific season for all.
This person will oversee our Junior Programs which include beginner sailing, intermediate sailing, rec-sailing, and Opti, RS Feva, and 420 racing. Our Junior Sailing staff/team is comprised of 6 paid instructors/coaches and 6 club-member, volunteer “junior instructors”. STEM & REACH modules are integrated into our sailing classes. Our safety coaching motorboats include 2 new RIBs, a 17' Whaler, and three 13’ Whalers. We also have a club owned Sonar that our sailing classes use for keel-boat practice and variety.
Our Junior programs runs for 8 weeks, from late-June to mid-August. The Waterfront Director optimally would be available for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after the Junior Program (this is negotiable based on availability).
We offer free HOUSING ON-SITE for our Sailing Director and coaches (for up to 4 people each summer). Pay is competitive and based on experience and years of instruction.
LEARN MORE about our programs by reviewing our JR Program newsletters on our website: http://www.shyc.club/jr-sailing-newsletters/
We ALSO welcome resumes and inquires for coaches looking for Race Coach Positions and/or instructors interested in teaching our beginners and recreational tweens/teens. We have multiple positions open for summer 2020.
- 3+ years working in a Sailing Program environment (more preferred)
- US Sailing Instructor Level 1 (Level 3 preferred)
- CPR & First Aid certified
- SafeSport certified
- State Safe Boating license/certificate
- Launch Driver License (preferred, but not required)
- Prior experience managing staff, a team, and/or other coaches
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Highly organized
- Mature and experienced
- Commitment to safety
- Prior experience coaching sailing
- Excellent powerboat driving skills
- Basic boat maintenance and repair skills
- Passionate about sailing, teaching and working with kids
- Strong knowledge of how to structure sailing classes & programs
- Knowledge about organizing racing programs & regatta travel
- A positive role model with strong leadership skills and communication
- Able to collaborating with students, parents, and other staff members
- Able to provide insightful and constructive feedback and instruction
- Commitment to teaching sportsmanship and safety
- Responsible, reliable and self-motivated
- Employment subject to Background Screening
Employer Contact Information