SoundWaters: Junior Sailing Instructor
1281 Cove Road
Stamford, CT 06902
Application Closing Date
Security Clearance Required
SUMMER CAMP SAILING INSTRUCTOR
SoundWaters, a nonprofit education organization based in Stamford, CT, is accepting applications for summer camp sailing instructors for the 2019 summer season.
SoundWaters, founded in 1989, is the premiere environmental education organization focused on the protection of Long Island Sound and its watershed. SoundWaters works in partnership with individuals, schools, communities, businesses, civic organizations, and other environmental and educational organizations to develop experiences that foster a sense of responsibility and encourage actions that ensure the sustainable future of Long Island Sound ecosystem.
The Sailing Instructor works with campers, SoundWaters staff and camp counselors to implement a sailing day camp program which meets the mission of SoundWaters and needs of the community. This is a teaching position that requires sailing experience, organization, decision-making, creativity, extensive safety and clear communication skills.
• Safety of all campers and staff
• Implements waterfront curriculum as designed by Waterfront Manager and Camp Director
• Follow all waterfront policy and procedures
• Assure that all sailing and program equipment are safely and properly prepared and maintained for use by campers and staff. Arrange for broken and unsafe equipment and facilities to be repaired
• Work to develop an enthusiastic and growing SoundWaters community of sailors
• Conduct regular and proactive communication with Camp leadership
START DATE: June 24, 2019
END DATE: August 23, 2019
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter and resume to: Christina Genz, Camp Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
SoundWaters does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
• US Sailing Level 1 Instructor certification required
• Current CPR and lifeguard training preferred
• Ability to pass small boat operation practical
• Energetic, friendly, approachable and able to relate well with both children and adults
• Outstanding organizational, safety and communication skills
• Strong background in dinghy to small boat, youth, high school and/or collegiate sailing programs
Employer Contact Information
1281 Cove Road
SoundWaters 'Protecting Long Island Sound Through Education'
SoundWaters is a Coastal Education Organization.
Our focus is to educate students about all of the components that make Long Island Sound so unique. We reach 27,000 students per year.
During the summer we hold a camp ranging from 1st through 8th grade. Every age group has a sailing component as part of their daily schedule. As campers grow in their sailing ability, they also grow in their appreciation of the body of water on which they sail.