The Sailing Instructor will be responsible for every aspect of operating day-to-day sailing activity at the club. He/she must be friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable of the rules, regulations, and operations of the Club. Must be enthusiastic about the sport of sailing and seek to expose students to the fundamentals of sailing as well as the importance of the natural environment in which we sail and the basic leadership skills inherent in the sport of sailing.
1. Must have a passion for sailing, the environment and working with kids.
2. Must be familiar with 420, Laser and Optimist
3. Must have a positive, enthusiastic and flexible attitude.
4. Must possess strong problem-solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
5. The Sailing Instructor must be able to teach safety, boat handling and sailing theory to children and adults in dinghies who are beginning, intermediate, or racing sailors.
6. He/She must be able to develop and follow lesson plans that include dry land and on-the-water drills and inclement weather activities.
7. He/She must have empathy for the students and be able to adapt to their individual needs.
8. The Director is responsible for notifying students of any changes in class times, postponement due to weather conditions and make-up dates. Accurate records of attendance, injuries and boat damage is required.
9. When scheduled, the sailing instructor will be required to act as Race Committee during Club races.
10. Other duties include care and maintenance of boats and the facility.
11. On occasion, he/she will be required to fulfill other waterfront duties. These duties include providing general and on-shore assistance to users, monitor users on the water and provide on-the-water assistance and/or rescue as situations dictate.
12. Helping to maintain and clean the sailing docks, moorings, boats and grounds before and after class.
Employer Contact Information
Cooperstown Country Club
5738 State Highway 80
Sailing Committee - Chair