The primary responsibilities of the Waterfront Director will be to coordinate training, supervision and evaluation of part-time staff & volunteers leading St. Augustine Yacht Club (SAYC) sailing programs, including but not limited to summer sail camps, clinics, and youth sail team, including serve as a coach to the SAYC youth sail team.
This position will report to the SAYC Club Manager, in conjunction with the House Committee and Youth Sailing Advisory Committee. Additionally, the Waterfront Director will administer and supervise sail program operations including summer camp, summer camp instructor/volunteer schedules, instructor/volunteer safety and orientation sessions, other sailing programs that involve adult sailing instruction and supervision, and oversee coordination of all sailboat repairs and maintenance schedules for SAYC sail fleet and program power boats.
A qualified candidate for this position must be at least 21 years of age. This candidate must have a positive attitude, fun and enthusiastic personality, with a sense of humor; yet uphold high standards of being a role model to our youth: caring, honest, respectful, responsible, demonstrating integrity and fairness.
There will be times when the work schedule requires flexibility and a willingness to work for longer periods of time.
The applicant must complete a background check. There will be a 90-day probationary period, starting on the first day of work.
• Experience with small craft sailing (Hobies, Lasers, 420s, Optis)
• Knowledge of sailing, boat rigging, boat care, racing and small craft sailing
• Must be familiar with motorboat operation with at least 3 years experience sailing or sailboat racing
• Experience teaching children
• Experience managing a staff
• Experience with lifeguard management or aquatics is a plus
• Sailing Instructor, Level 1 US Sailing, or equivalent
• FL Safe Boater License, or other state equivalent to apply. Employment will require FL Safe Boater license
Summer Camp Responsibilities:
• Coordinate registration and payments for campers with the club manager
• Create schedule for instructors, volunteers
• Supervise instructor and volunteer hours in accordance with budget and defined schedule
• Coordinate scholarships with sponsors and St. Johns County schools
• Develop sign-in sheets and attendance records for sail campers
• Submit lesson plans and activity schedule for sail camp
• Set guidelines and expectations for camper achievement by the end of camp
• Keep weekly records of camper achievements
• Observe staff teaching skills and evaluate job performance of staff
• Complete a final written report and any other paperwork as required
Sail Team Responsibilities:
• Schedule and run weekly practices
• Register for area regattas
• Coordinate transportation and logistics for area regattas
• Set guidelines and expectations for skills improvement by the end of sail team season
• Complete a final summary report of each season and any other paperwork as required
Other General Responsibilities:
• On-going inventory tracking of boats, equipment, rigging, and tools
• Organization of equipment throughout the SAYC property, including but not limited to cleanup after practices, regattas, and other sailing activities
• Maintaining contact lists and records of program participants
• Communicating on a regular basis with Advisory Committee, Club Manager, and Commodore of current activities, upcoming events, and other matters as they arise
Employer Contact Information
St. Augustine Yacht Club
442 Ocean Vista
The St. Augustine Yacht Club is a social and boating club that promotes sailing, racing, boating, water activities and most of all camaraderie among its membership. Located adjacent to the St. Augustine Lighthouse on Anastasia Island, our beautiful waterfront location is just a short distance from historical downtown on the shore of Salt Run.