Waterfront Program Director
Norfolk Yacht Club
7001 Hampton Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23505
Norfolk Yacht and Country Club (NYCC) is seeking a full-time year-round Waterfront Program Director – an experienced sailor with extensive prior coaching and program management experience, to continue building its waterfront programs. The club has made major progress in its youth programs over the past few years and is committed to taking its program to the next level with plans to expand in all areas: Jr sailing (Optis/c420s), high school sailing (FJ’s), adult keel boat sailing, one-design sailing as well as powerboating. The club is looking for an energetic team player who wants to take ownership of the expanding programs and bring fresh ideas to build the culture of yachting and Corinthian racing among its members, while managing the day-to-day operations and programs. Strong coaching and management communication skills are required in building our waterfront team.
This is a unique opportunity for a director with a passion for boating to build a program.
NYCC is located on the Lafayette River in Norfolk, Virginia, and has impressive facilities that span over 6 acres of waterfront property, including a large clubhouse, deep-water marina, and first class Jr Sailing docks and classroom space.
Our Jr Sailors participate in numerous CBYRA regattas and a variety of USODA regattas year round. NYCC hosts several high level Opti clinics during the school year, open to top sailors from around the Chesapeake Bay, and would like to continue building its Green and RWB Fleet presence at USODA regattas. Three high school teams are based out of the club and are enjoying sailing with a brand new fleet of FJs. Other existing waterfront programs include learn to sail keelboat courses, women’s only sailing classes, US Powerboating classes for kids and adults, as well as cruising, paddling, kayaking, paddleboard yoga, and social events.
This executive position is fulltime/year-round and will ideally be contracted for a 2 year period with annual renewals. Salary is commensurate with experience.
REPORTING and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Reports directly to General Manager as part of the executive management team.
• This position requires a team-oriented approach, a collegial atmosphere with other club management and the Yachting and Jr Sailing Committees, as well as ongoing communication with junior sailing parents and sailors, and other adult members of the club in a service oriented professional manner.
• Market and promote all programs, building participation among members and attracting prospective members.
• Organize/coordinate all adult and junior activities including clinics, summer camps, race teams, team travel, and private lessons.
• Provide coaching for individual and team racing skills, coach/instruct power boating and keelboat sailing courses, clinics, and seminars.
• Develop and implement a modern and effective curriculum to create skilled and confident junior sailors and boaters.
• Hire coaching staff for summer camp and race teams as needed.
• Lead in the preparation and management of junior and adult regattas held at NYCC.
• Establish an annual budget in collaboration with the Yachting committee and club management.
• Coordinate maintenance of all NYCC coach boats, club sailboats, and trailers. Ensure that the waterfront assets are appropriate to support current and future sail and powerboat training needs.
• Maintain regular office hours on a schedule to be determined in coordination with the GM and Commodore, including some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Candidates must display a professional manner and enthusiasm for the private club environment.
• Demonstrated success as a program leader with excellent communication skills.
• Experience in teaching all levels of boating skills.
• Creativity in facilitating continuous improvement in all programs.
• Team racing and fleet racing coaching experience.
• Extensive Optimist and c420 coaching experience preferred.
• US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructor Certification preferred.
• Familiarity with marketing tools, word-processing, spreadsheet and online registration software programs.
• Must be First Aid/AED/CPR and US Sailing Level 1 or higher certified.
• Must be able to pass a background check and drug test.
Please submit your resume and cover letter highlighting your past experiences. Feel free to include your sailing CV along with your professional sailing involvements.
Please send them to Ben Schill, Commodore, at:
Employer Contact Information
Norfolk Yacht Club
7001 Hampton Blvd