From April - October, Sail Sand Point offers a range of adult sailing programs. We have beginner to advanced classes on a wide range of boats. Adult beginner classes are taught in RS Quest sailboats. Additional programs are taught in Lasers, J-24, Hobie Waves, and Hobie 16s and Windsurfers. Instructors are responsible for developing and implementing lesson plans that support the content and learning goals of the specific program. Instructors are expected to maintain an accurate sense of students’ skill acquisition and comfort and be adapting to the conditions in a way that will provide a safe and productive learning environment.
Many of these programs run in the evenings and on weekends. To make this a full-time position, Adult Sailing Instructors may work as an Open Boating Instructor, administering Skills Proficiency Checks and ensuring proper boat use and safety on the water.
Instructors also have the opportunity to teach Private Lessons through Sail Sand Point outside of their scheduled shifts in order to earn additional income.
Reports to: Sailing Director
Classification: Seasonal, part- to full-time position; (note: most hours for this position are weeknights and weekends)
Dates of Employment: April - October; flexible start and end dates
- 1-2 years of experience teaching, or assisting teaching, in a sail training environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and work collaboratively with fellow instructors
- Knowledge of safe boating practices and considerable sailing experience
- Current US Sailing Level 1 (or higher) Small Boat Instructor Certification
- Current US Sailing membership
- Washington State (or other NASBLA certified) Boater’s Education Card)
- Competence in small power boat handling for class instruction
- Current CPR/First-Aid certification
- CDC “Head’s Up” online concussion training