From April - October, Sail Sand Point offers a range of adult sailing programs. We have beginner to advanced classes on a wide range of boats. Adult beginner classes are taught in RS Quest sailboats. Additional programs are taught in Lasers, J-24, Hobie Waves, and Hobie 16s and Windsurfers. Instructors are responsible for developing and implementing lesson plans that support the content and learning goals of the specific program. Instructors are expected to maintain an accurate sense of students’ skill acquisition and comfort and be adapting to the conditions in a way that will provide a safe and productive learning environment.
Many of these programs run in the evenings and on weekends. To make this a full-time position, Adult Sailing Instructors may work as a Rental Instructor, administering Skills Proficiency Checks and ensuring proper boat use and safety on the water.
Instructors also have the opportunity to teach Private Lessons through Sail Sand Point outside of their scheduled shifts in order to earn additional income.
Essential Job Functions:
- Set up for classes and clean up each day
- Teach in a manner that emphasizes US Sailing’s motto “Safety, Fun, and Learning”
- Value student diversity and ensure an inclusive learning environment
- Develop daily lessons plans in keeping with class content as described in the camp’s description
- Ensure a safe, fun, and educational environment for your students
- Answer basic questions about Rentals and SSP’s other programs
- Complete end of class paperwork (including any Rental skills tests)
- Record and report any injuries or damage to equipment
- Maintain a Professional environment
- When working Rentals, maintain effective and efficient communication with the Dockmaster(s) to manage boat rentals, administer Skills Proficiency Tests, and ensure a safe environment, both on the water and onshore.