Courageous Sailing, a 501(c)3 nonprofit engaged in sailing education for Boston youth and the community, seeks an Assistant Program Director. They will primarily help lead and grow our instructional and membership programs for adults; while secondarily providing support for satellite site and youth programming. Located on Boston Harbor, Courageous is one of the largest nonprofit, keelboat-based sailing schools and community sailing programs in the northeast. Courageous’s adult and corporate programs are the largest single source of revenue for the organization and provide critical support and infrastructure for our youth program.
The ideal candidate will be a strong leader/manager who possesses a passion for grassroots sailing, excellent people skills, solid organizational, writing, and business skills, and a desire to use sailing education as a platform for social good. Strong sailing skills and instructing experience are required; racing / race management and cruising experience is a plus. Must be available to work at least one weekend day and two-three evenings per week between May and October.
Respond with a cover letter and resume, only via email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Assistant Program Director will work with the Adult Program Director to help plan and oversee all operational, customer service and marketing/sales functions relating to revenue-generating adult programs and corporate events of Courageous Sailing Center. They will work with both Adult and Youth Program Directors to help plan and oversee UMass and Jamaica Pond satellite sites.
Responsibilities. These include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
1. Promote the adult membership, activity and course offerings for the program year.
2. Serve as resource and primary point of contact for members and students.
3. Manage schedules and staffing for adult programs and events.
4. Assist in hiring and managing all staff for adult and corporate programs, (in coordination with Youth Program Director)
5. Coordinate with Maintenance Director to ensure safe and prudent practices with respect to the fleet and facilities.
Qualifications. The Assistant Program Director position requires a high level of proficiency in sailing education, management and administration.
Minimum qualifications include:
1. Commitment to the promotion of high quality sailing experiences, particularly for underserved populations.
2. Minimum of two years’ experience in a community sailing or sailing education environment; with experience in teaching, and high level of understanding for racing and cruising.
3. Minimum of one year experience in a program management role.
4. Excellent interpersonal, communication, organization, and writing skills.
5. High level customer service skills.
6. Marketing and sales experience.
7. Bachelor’s degree
8. US Sailing Instructor Certification or equivalent.
COURAGEOUS SAILING is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Courageous Sailing does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic, disability or veteran/Reserve/National Guard status.