JOB TITLE: Assistant Junior Sailing Director & Head Coach
JOB SUMMARY: A position which requires professional administration and operation of a year-round Junior Sailing Program and Race Teams including the Newport Beach Club 420 Team (2022 Bemis & C420 Team Race National Champs) & BCYC’s Sabot Race Team (2022 Sabot National Champs).
This job also comes with an option to coach the 2022 Sail 1 Design HS Team of the Year, Mater Dei. The Newport Beach Junior Sailing Landscape is a great place for ambitious Sailing Professionals looking for competitive sailors to coach.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Report to Junior Sailing Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Secondary oversight of coaching staff, including four coaches during off-season and up to fifteen summer staff.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with Experience
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Full-time
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Head Coach will help manage a year round sailing program for juniors ages 5 - 17 yrs old under the direction and supervision of the Junior Director. This person is responsible for the daily operations and tasks associated with club sailing programs as well as high school sailing programs and will be the head travel coach for regattas. They will help coordinate program logistics and goals with the Junior Sailing Director and Junior Sailing Committee. This person will create, promote and maintain curriculum, help with the training of new instructors, and assist with maintenance projects of the Junior Program owned equipment and assets. They must provide a high level of coaching to program participants up to the national level. This position involves a high degree of contact with both adult and junior membership in a consulting, service-oriented, and disciplinarian format as well as on a personal level. Goals for the Head Coach are to be a role model for junior sailors, a mentor to new coaches and a leader in local, regional, and national Junior Sailing policy and programming.
1. Prepare and manage sailing programs in collaboration with the Junior Director which includes planning program concept and curriculum, hiring and training staff, securing equipment and facilities, and managing day to day operations. Primary programs include:
· Six week summer program.
· Fall and Spring sailing programs consistent with Junior sailor needs and availability.
· Monthly winter clinics and regatta prep clinics prior to regional SCYYRA events.
2. Conduct advanced racing classes during program hours which includes a graduated curriculum, daily chalk-talks and de-briefs, a wide variety of on-the-water drills and activities, intermittent proficiency evaluations, and regular progress reports.
3. Assist in the organization of the travel Race Team, prepare calendars, email correspondences, and organize travel equipment.
4. Motivate junior participation in regional events and travel as lead instructor for the team of BCYC coaches.
5. Enforce proper coaching techniques and those guidelines explained in the BCYC coaching policies.
6. Assist with supervision and management of Junior facilities, equipment maintenance, capital acquisitions and improvements.
7. Enforce policies of BCYC, and if necessary defer to Junior Director.
8. Attend events, functions, and meetings as directed.
Employer Contact Information
Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club
1601 Bayside Drive
Corona del Mar CA 92625
Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club is located in beautiful Balboa Harbor, Newport Beach. With around 500 members, we are a mid-size club with a full service restaurant, marina, boatyard, indoor dry storage for dingies, pool and more. We offer a thriving Junior Program during three of four seasons with beginner to advanced sailing instruction, travel race program, and swim lessons.