Assistant Sailing Coach
Hobart William Smith Colleges: Hobart and William Smith Athletics
Jun 25, 2021
The successful candidate will assist the head sailing coach in the organization and management of a highly competitive collegiate sailing program for men and women. The position responsibilities will include teaching and coaching student-athletes for successful competition; supporting student-athletes’ academic success; recruiting prospective students; fundraising; developing alumnae/alumni and parent relations; team travel planning; administrative tasks; and other duties as assigned. This position also includes teaching basic sailing classes as a secondary responsibility.
• Teaching and Coaching:
• teach student-athletes all related concepts, principles and rules of collegiate sailing
• assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of practice and race plans
• maintain an exemplary standard of conduct, which reflects the highest level of professionalism and good judgment
• teach basic sailing classes as part of the Physical Education and Recreation class schedule
• be knowledgeable of and compliant with all institutional, department, ICSA and MAISA policies, rules and regulations
• transport team to and from regattas
• coach, teach and supervise team at regattas
• Counseling and Advising of Student-Athletes:
• develop and maintain effective communication with student-athletes
• reinforce academic success as a priority
• encourage student-athletes to foster a positive relationship with faculty, deans and staff
• effectively recruit prospective student-athletes under the direction of the head coach and consistent with the Colleges’ mission
• maintain the sport-specific recruiting electronic database
• recruit student-athletes who coincide with the academic profile of HWS students
• maintain open communication with other HWS coaches regarding shared prospects
• Professional Development:
• maintain active membership in professional sport organizations
• pursue formal and informal educational opportunities
• participate in professional development seminars
• Community Engagement/Fundraising
• promote the sport and HWS in area communities
• maintain a positive relationship with interested constituents (e.g. youth groups, civic organizations, media)
• assist in the planning and management of fundraising activities
• develop a positive relationship with HWS alumnae/alumni and parents
• Waterfront Responsibilities:
• performance maintenance as necessary on a fleet of 420’s, FJs and lasers
• assist in maintenance of coaches’ boats, dock and boathouse
• assist with the development of waterfront educational programs (i.e. teach basic sailing classes)
• Operational Team Responsibilities (approximately 30% of full time responsibilities):
• serve on Athletics Department operational teams (e.g. game management, special events)
• serve as supervisor of Outdoor Recreation Adventure Program (ORAP)
• represent the department on campus committees
This is a full-time, 10-month, benefits-eligible, administrative position. Evening and weekend work are required. This position description is not all-inclusive as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred. Degree(s) in physical education, kinesiology, education or related field preferred. A minimum of four years of competitive sailing and/or coaching sailing at the college-level required. Candidates must demonstrate strong potential to teach, lead and counsel college student-athletes and have enthusiasm for the recruiting duties of the position. The candidate must be a person of integrity, high ethical standards, have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. The candidate must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of HWS Athletics.
U.S. Sailing level 2 or 3 certification preferred. Competence with technology resources and a current U.S. driver’s license are vital to fulfilling the responsibilities of this position. CPR and First Aid certification required.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service, Interfolio, using the Apply Now button on the right. Background and Motor Vehicle Record checks required.
If you have a question or need help on uploading your application materials, please contact Interfolio's support team at email@example.com or call 1-877-997-8807 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 6 p.m., EST, Monday through Friday.
For full application instructions and position description, visit: https://apptrkr.com/2331079