Since 1928 Noroton Yacht Club has been one of the premier sailing clubs in the Northeast. Our fleets include Sonars, Vipers, Ideal 18’s and Sunfish as well as a Cruising fleet. As a family-oriented yacht club, Noroton is a place where members, their children, and grandchildren form lifelong friendships. The mission of Noroton Yacht Club is to create and foster a lifelong love of the sport of sailing.
The Noroton Yacht Club sailing and waterfront staff is a small team dedicated to the clubs mission of creating lifelong sailors. The Bosun will be a core member of the senior sailing staff at NYC. This person will work at the direction of the Sailing and Waterfront Director to facilitate all aspects of the Sailing and Waterfront Departments. This includes but is not limited to maintaining all club owed assets both sail and power, instructing members and staff on proper use procedures for all assets, checking out members on club owned boats, working with the Sailing Program Manager and Head Junior Sailing Instructor on junior sailing program needs, instructing adult sailing programs, coordinating with Race Committee on event logistics, maintaining all Race Committee equipment, troubleshooting and repairing sail and powered vessels, and supporting the youth and adult big boat race team programs.
In addition to fleet and adult sailing program management this person may be needed to assist with moorings during commissioning and decommissioning as well as teach in the junior sailing program and operate the launch in times of high need. The Bosun may also be required to assist in house and facility related projects such as event set up and maintenance needs.
This position is full-time in season (April 1- November 1) and part-time during the off season.
· Ability to manage daily operations in the absence of the Sailing Program Manager and Jr. Sailing Head Instructor
· Engage with the public, NYC members, parents, and students
· Inventory and maintain sailing program assets including sail and power boats
· Instruct adult learn to sail and learn to race courses
· Assist in regatta management, race committee duties, and other assignments
· Assist team racing with weekday scrimmages
· Support the big boat Program with enrollment and training as needed
· Train members on the rigging of club owed sailboats, permitted areas of ops, enforce safety requirements, and check out members
· Assist volunteers in the commissioning and decommissioning of club ideals and sonars. Prepare club-owned optis, etc. as needed for use in junior program activities
· Coordinate on maintenance needs of jr. sailing and RC support boats with a regular checkup to ensure that everything is functioning properly and safely
· Work with member volunteers and waterfront staff to carry out sailboat repair and maintenance, repairs, and rigging
· Attend Committee meetings as necessary
· Attend weekly Sailing Department Leadership meetings
· Maintain focus on multiple platforms, especially during times of incoming weather or emergency
· Assign coach boats to classes and regattas with input from Head Sailing Instructor