We are seeking experienced and enthusiastic high school and college-aged sailors. Coaches provide hands-on, minds-on instruction for students at ages 8-18 in Optimists. Sailing coaches are charged with significant responsibility including:
- USSailing or International equivalent Level 1 Small Boat Certification a plus, Safesport, CPR/First Aid, Safe Powerboating Certification
- Establishing respectful and constructive relationships with students and their families
- Teach safety, boat handling and sailing theory to children and adults in dinghies and small keelboats who are beginning, intermediate or racing sailors.
- Develop and follow lesson plans that include dry land and on-the-water drills and inclement weather activities.
- Coaches must have empathy for the students and be able to adapt to their individual needs.
- Responsible for notifying students of any changes in class times, postponement due to weather conditions and make-up dates. - Maintain accurate records of attendance, injuries and boat damage is required.
- Care and maintenance of boats and the facility.
- On occasion, the sailing instructor will be required to fulfill the duties of a Waterfront Coordinator. These duties include providing general and on-shore assistance to students and sailing instructors, monitor students on the water and provide on-the-water assistance and/or rescue as situations dictate.
- Must have knowledge and respect of the rules and regulations of the Chicago Harbors and CCYC .
- Helping to maintain and clean the docks, boats and grounds before and after class.