Cruising Instructor- Summer 2021
Courageous Sailing, Inc.
One First Avenue
Boston, MA 02129
Courageous Sailing is looking for a Cruising Instructor to join our staff and participate in coaching within Adult and/or Youth Programs during the summer of 2019. Position can include participation in both or one program based on schedule and availability preferences.
Courageous Sailing, a 501(c)3 nonprofit engaged in sailing education for Boston youth and the community, seeks US Sailing certified Cruising Instructors to teach courses and private lessons, May 1st through October 31st. Most classes run on the weekends and weekday evenings but course availability could be adjusted to fit custom instructor hours. Hours are flexible and pay rates are to be commensurate with experience.
-Teach US Sailing Basic Cruising and Bareboat according to the curriculum as laid out by US Sailing and Courageous Sailing
-Provide a safe, positive and fun learning environment for students
-Conduct check-out sails for new cruising members
-Lead small groups during corporate events
-Act as a liaison between membership and maintenance to ensure proper care of the cruising fleet.
-Be a knowledgeable ambassador for Courageous Sailing, Charlestown, Boston Harbor and the sport of sailing
-Assist members in planning overnight sails
-Exercise good judgment in challenging situations, both on and off the water
• USCG Captain's license
• Extensive J80 or comparable sportboat sailing and racing experience preferable
• 2-3 years coaching/instructor experience
• US Sailing Keelboat Instructor or equivalent certification preferred; (for Adult Program) US Sailing or ASA Basic Cruising Instructor or Bareboat Cruising Instructor certification preferable
• Racing experience and knowledge of the Racing Rules of Sailing
• Current First Aid/CPR certification
• Positive and enthusiastic attitude
• Outstanding communication, team management, and positive behavior management skills
• Excellent references
• A passion for sailing, the ocean, and teaching
One First Avenue