Provide leadership and guidance to the Davis Island Youth Sailing Foundation (the “Organization”) by establishing a vision for the foundation and race programs, executing on short and long-term organizational goals and planning, and in training and upholding a standard of excellence in coaching
The Director reports to the President of the organization’s Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and sailing objectives. The position oversees our Opti & C420 Race Teams (DIRT), High School Sailing Program, and Summer Learn to Sail Camp.
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring, and management of all program coaches.
- Designate coaching teams, train coaches, and assign coaches to practices and events.
- Assist opti and 420 coaches with some practices and travel to events when possible to stay abreast of progress across fleets.
- Participate in coaching and sailing events at the highest level. Bring this training to the organization’s team and encourage coaches to have similar experiences.
- Publish race program calendars per fleet including training and events in advance of each season in collaboration with Program Managers.
- Work with parents and coaches to coordinate travel logistics for regattas.
- Prepare materials including race team manual, fleet-by-fleet descriptions, logs, etc. by working with Program Managers and relevant VPs.
- Send regular updates to the Board of Directors, sailors, parents, and coaches.
- Respond promptly to communication from these groups.
- Manage operational, Summer Learn to Sail, and coaching budgets.
- Assist the Executive Board with fundraising initiatives.
- Maintain the integrity of grounds and equipment in conjunction with Program Managers and asset committees.
- Define responsibilities of coaches, sailors, and parents in regards to all assets.
- Seek collaboration with local and regional clubs, teams, etc to elevate the performance of the organization’s sailors.
- Maintain a good working relationship with Davis Island Yacht Club.
- Update the DIYSF website and post on social media as it pertains to the race teams and race program.
SUMMER LEARN TO SAIL
- Hire and train instructors.
- Work with head instructor to ensure program is running smoothly.
- Work with Program Manager to send out invitations for the race team.
Success in this role will be measured by:
- Maintaining a full coaching staff across fleets with current certifications.
- Proactively managing communication with families and coaches.
- Delivering on proposed budgets and fundraising tasks.
- Developing asset maintenance and acquisition logs.
- Building relationships with other clubs.
- Hitting target numbers for SLTS participation and race team recruits.