Forget the coasts, the Midwest is best when you want to grow your career and have fun as a coach! The Chicago Yacht Club is the unbeatable spot for a year-round Double Handed Sailing Manager to help with the Sailing School’s activities throughout the year and allow the program to continue to grow. Chicago Yacht Club’s Sailing School has been named one of the top programs in the country, and is lucky to have a tremendous amount of support from its community to maintain that status. Our previous coach has moved on to Head Coach positions most recently to the US Naval Academy.
The Chicago Yacht Club Sailing School is a very active sailing center where kids of all ages and abilities come to learn and grow as young sailors. Our extensive fleet of boats includes 18 Club 420s, 21 420e’s, 24 Optimists, 18 Sail Cubes along with 12 RIBs for coaching The marine assets are on a rotating schedule so that we always have the newest equipment which is kept in great condition despite almost year-round use. We have a large summer program that runs from mid-June to mid-August, as well as an ever-growing high school program and Advanced Opti program that both run through the fall and spring. During the winter months, we take various teams to Florida for the juniors’ racing circuit, and work to organize and promote our programs and maintain our assets. The program supports a large amount of travel for our young sailors, providing opportunities for them to gain a wider range of racing experiences available throughout the country. The position also assists our Neil Clinic, an invitational for the most qualified High School sailors in the country.
The candidate should be a leader who is highly organized and self-motivated with excellent communication skills. A large part of this position will be communicating with parents, yacht club members, sailors, and other staff respectfully and effectively.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Coaching the year-round High School and Club Race Team Programs. The position may include a lot of travel for coaching, as well as professional development and program endorsement throughout the year.
· Coordinate regatta travel for all race programs.
· Assist in performance maintenance and repairs as necessary to ensure the sailing school assets are in platinum condition. These assets include all sailboats, RIBs, vans and the sailing school including the docks.
· Being an active member of the On-the-Water staff.
· The Double Handed Manager is expected to aid the Sailing School Director and the Single-Handed Coach in the general running of the Sailing School, its events, programs, race teams, etc.
· Coordinate with the high school advisory board and junior activities committee to develop and execute an internal and external communication strategy. This includes writing articles for club publications, communicating through social media and publishing a month sailing school newsletter.
Over the course of the year we host many junior regattas and we expect all the Sailing School staff to help run those events to the highest quality possible. The candidate must be comfortable and capable driving a trailer and a 12-passenger van. Valid US driver’s license is required.