Dover Sherborn High School Varsity Sailing Coach
Dover Sherborn Regional High School
9 Junction St
Dover, MA 02030
Dover Sherborn (DS) High School is hiring a Varsity sailing coach for its Spring 2020 season which runs from March through May. DS Sailing is a competitive program racing in the Massachusetts Bay League’s A Division against other regional public and private schools. The school’s sailing facilities are located on Lake Massapoag in Sharon, MA and include two powerboats, a storage container/locker and a fleet of twelve 420s, including 6 three-year old Whitecap Composites boats in excellent condition.
In recent years the team has been a top competitor in its team race division and frequently finished in the top 3 of most local fleet race events. In 2019 the team progressed to the NESSA O’Day Fleet Race Finals, and also won A-Division at the Massachusetts State Championship. The team size ranges from 18-22 students and sailors will display a wide range of abilities from novice team racers to sailors bound for top collegiate sailing programs. However, a core focus of the position is developing fundamental racing skills that will enable all sailors to improve and enjoy competition as part of the DS sports community.
DS Sailing is a valued sport at the High School with strong backing from a non-profit organization, the Friends of Dover Sherborn Sailing. The coach will be well-supported as they assume leadership of the team and have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the school’s student-athletes!
This is a part-time coaching position for the period from March 9 through May 24, 2020 offering a salary of $5,950 to be paid at the conclusion of the season.
Interested applicants should contact the DSHS Athletic Director, Emily Sullivan, at 508-785-1730 or email@example.com.
The primary coaching duties are:
• Lead afternoon practices 3-5 days per week from approximately 3 to 6 PM
• Transport sailors to attend regional team and fleet race regattas, providing coaching at these events on weekdays and weekends based on league schedules. The team will attend approximately 7 team races with nearby schools and enter 6-8 fleet race regattas in the Boston area.
• Conduct try-outs, establish sailor placement and pairings, and determine event rosters
• Direct an Assistant Coach in the execution of daily practices
• Communicate weekly with the sailor parents to explain scheduling and rosters
• Work with other regional sailing coaches to coordinate schedules and plan/host events
• Manage facilities including two powerboats, beach storage of 420 fleet and the sailing team’s storage container
• Assist in the opening and closing of the season (i.e., trailering 420s to/from storage site)
Applicant requirements include:
• Prior JV or Varsity high school, club or college coaching experience in sailing
• Prior racing experience
• Powerboating experience, certification preferred
• CPR and First AID certification
• CORI and fingerprints approved
9 Junction St