Pleasant Bay Community Boating Seeks Executive Director
Pleasant Bay Community Boating (PBCB) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 2003 whose mission is to make boating, marine education and environmental stewardship affordable and accessible to all. PBCB has grown from a small, grass roots organization, and currently it has a small, year-round full- and part-time staff, an involved board, and a strong membership/volunteer base. PBCB acquired a 3.6-acre waterfront facility on Pleasant Bay that includes 4 buildings, a boathouse and a dock. Current membership is approx. 600. Additional information may be found at /www. pbcb.cc/.
PBCB seeks an experienced manager with understanding of the nonprofit environment to serve as Executive Director. This person will be passionate about enriching the lives of all members of our community through marine recreation, education and environmental sustainability, with special attention to those who would otherwise not have the ability to learn the life lessons of sailing, marine education and other water‐based activities. Such person also will have a notable record of leadership and the demonstrated capacity to further develop an organization in fulfilling its mission.
Governance, Reporting Structures & General Responsibilities
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of PBCB and reports to the Board of Directors and its Executive Committee. The Executive Director provides leadership to and management of all aspects of organizational activity. This includes a broad administrative mandate, program development, leadership of institutional advancement and serving as the representative to the public of a growing year-round and robust seasonal program.
The PBCB management staff members report directly to the Executive Director and consist of both year-round full and part-time staff, including an Associate Director of Advancement and Operations, a Camp Program Director, a Waterfront Director, and a Property Manager/Assistant Treasurer.
Areas of Responsibility
The responsibilities entail coordination of inter-related functions as described here:
· Collaborate with and supervise staff, to include their mentorship, encouragement and coordination, and regular performance reviews
· Oversee the administrative office and support functions, including employment and administrative policies and procedures and review of contracts for services
· Develop an annual work plan and budget, and monitor performance against budget to ensure sound financial operations
· Oversee delivery and quality of PBCB’s activities, to include sailing and marine education programs,
fleet and facility maintenance needs and compliance, and protocols to ensure the safety of all members, visitors and their property
· Continue Program Development to build PBCB as a vital community organization with year-round activity on campus
· Provide leadership for Advancement activities, to include efforts to secure annual corporate and grant funding, coordination of capital and annual campaigns, marketing and communications activities of the organization, and collaboration with Board of Directors in fundraising
· Work closely with the Board of Directors, seeking their involvement in policy decisions and fundraising, and an increase in POBCB’s visibility in the community
The successful candidate will come to PBCB with a background that illustrates:
· Collaborative personality with leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills, including mentoring and team-building
· Strong management skills, including planning, delegating, time management and task facilitation, evidenced by experience
· Budget management skills (managing the business via the budget)
· Outstanding written and oral communication skills
· Experience in strategic planning and implementation
· Advancement knowledge and experience, to include grant writing, solicitation of corporate support and major gifts, non-profit fundraising strategies and donor cultivation
· Strong marketing and public relations skills, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
· Experience in program development
· Experience working with a Board of Directors
· Bachelor level degree or higher preferred
· Background or interest in sailing, marine education and environmental stewardship.