Head Coach Position
The AYC Head Coach is responsible for supporting the AYC Youth Sailing Director with the Sailing Program at Austin Yacht Club. The Head Coach is responsible for helping to provide safe, consistent, and quality instruction. The Head Coach will be a full-time, salaried employee of Austin Yacht Club.
The Head Coach main areas of responsibility:
- High School Sailing: Varsity and Junior Varsity
- These practices are for Austin-area high school students interested in learning to sail and race or advance their racing skills.
- Optimist: Opti I, Opti II, Opti III
- These practices are intended for young beginners starting at eight years old going up to advanced Optimist racing.
- Single-handed and Double-handed Class:
- This group is for junior sailors who are usually middle school aged (sometimes high schoolers) and is designed to teach basic sailing skills and beginning racing on Picos, FJs, Lasers, and Sunfish.
- Adult Training:
- AYC offers adult training for beginner and intermediate sailors in dinghies
- Free Sail:
- These sessions are Saturday or Sunday afternoons through the spring, summer, and fall. AYC Sail Training boats and facilities are available for AYC Members to use during this session while an employee of AYC or approved supervisor remains on the dock. The supervisor is responsible for signing sailors and equipment in/out, assisting with rigging, and ensuring the safety of all participants.
- Basic maintenance of AYC-owned boats: eighteen E420s, eighteen FJs, one C420, ten Optimists, seven Lasers, two Sunfish, four Laser Picos, three RIBs, and one skiff
- Trailer and dolly maintenance
- Facility maintenance: Rylander Pavilion and Junior Docks, Sail Training Cabin, and various storage areas
The needs of the Head Coach position may change as the needs of the AYC Junior Program changes.
The Head Coach must always: a) be responsible for the safety of participants in all activities, b) exhibit the highest ethical, professional and sportsmanlike conduct while discharging his/her duties, both on and off the AYC premises, and c) communicate consistently and effectively with the Youth Sailing Director, parents of Junior Sailing Program participants, the membership, the Board of Directors, Sail Training Commander, and other AYC staff.