ECKERD COLLEGE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: Head Sailing Coach
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Athletics
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Direct all facets of Eckerd College's intercollegiate sailing program through planning and implementing the training and conditioning of team members, recruiting, providing coaching and instruction, maintaining the boats/fleet, assuring academic progress, managing the program budget, and scheduling regattas.
Essential Functions (other non-essential duties may be assigned)
1. Manage daily operations of the sailing program including planning and conducting practice/training sessions, leading the team in regattas, and developing players athletically and academically.
2. Oversee maintenance of team boats and fleet.
3. Organize and coordinate all recruitment of potential student-athletes in cooperation with admissions and ICSA guidelines.
4. Monitor the academic progress of sailing student-athlete and provide assistance and tutoring when needed.
5. Develop, implement, and maintain team policies and procedures.
6. Manage the program budget, purchase all necessary equipment and uniforms.
7. Schedule full slate of regattas for the fall and spring seasons; oversee arrangements for away contests including travel, lodging, meals, and athlete supervision and responsibilities.
8. Plan and execute program outreach efforts with campus community, program alumni and families, and local community.
9. Assist Director of Athletics in fundraising efforts, development of the Triton Fund, and sponsorships for annual dinner auction.
Position(s) Directly Supervised
Assistant Sailing Coach
• Extensive knowledge of sailing rules, fundamentals, techniques, and strategies.
• Ability to identify, recruit, and retain competitive student-athletes.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Skills in cultivating relationships with athletes, alumni, parents, and donors.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions regarding health, safety, and well-being of student-athletes.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
• Must be able to move and transport equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Frequent prolonged periods of standing, walking, and/or moving from location to location.
• Frequently works outdoor practices and regattas in varying temperatures and weather conditions.
• Frequent after-hours work (early mornings, nights, weekends, holidays).
• Frequently operates motor vehicles including boats.
Education, Experience, and Certifications
• Bachelor's Degree, 5 years of sailing and/or coaching experience at the college level
• First Aid/CPR/AED certification
• Valid driver license
Eckerd College is committed to fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and an inclusive campus community. Eckerd is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Eckerd College is especially interested in attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups.