The San Diego Yacht Club is private yacht club located in San Diego California and has been recognized by the Club Leadership Forum as one of the top Platinum Clubs of America for the past 12 years. The club evolved from a small gathering of boating enthusiasts joining together in 1886 into a world-renowned yachting community recognized for its success in sailing, cruising, angling, and its support of youth programs at all levels.
The club is proud of its many members that own multiple Olympic medals, hall-of-fame appointments, world championship trophies and renowned yacht designs.
These members and their guests are supported by a professional and dedicated staff of over 100 and enjoy year-round facilities including a distinctive clubhouse w/ dining room, bar, banquet and meeting rooms, library and members lounge. The waterfront maintains both wet and dry boat storage slips, locker buildings, 4 hoists and the Malin Burnham Sailing Center which houses sailing classrooms, a gym plus offices and workshops for marina operations, regatta management and junior sailing programs.
San Diego Yacht Club hosts an average of 100 days of sailing competitions starting January 1 and running well into December. They are proud to have hosted competitions from local one designs to international class world championships; from Junior Regattas to Olympic Trials and the America’s Cup. The aggressive racing calendar is complemented by SDYC's community atmosphere, bringing together its membership for family socials, as well as philanthropic, educational and sporting activities throughout the year.
San Diego Yacht Club seeks a fulltime Junior Sailing Program Director to maintain the traditions of the nearly 90 year old program, as well as facilitate the latest programs and opportunities for its young members.
The ideal candidate can represent the values of San Diego Yacht Club, instill a Corinthian spirit in junior participants; foster a passion for sailing; and produce highly competent and competitive sailors. They are a team player with a strong work ethic, consistent attention to detail, and can self-start, and work independently or as part of a group. A positive and motivational attitude a must.
Qualified applicants should have experience directing youth sailing camp or programs.
· Have current experience with sailing program management and activities related to developing sailing skills for recreational as well as competitive sailing.
· Knowledge to refine existing programs, following a strategic plan and implement a curriculum for all levels of sailors, both seasonal and year-round as well as hire and manage supporting staff.
· Compose and post consistent and clear communications of all on-going program activities and promote upcoming opportunities through existing media channels.
· Maintain an office, follow-thru with walk in, phone and email correspondence, preparing and executing budgeting and accounting for program expenses and supporting paperwork.
· Oversee fleet maintenance and storage of both sailing and powerboat assets.
· Work seamlessly with club staff, member committees and individual members to facilitate all aspects of the junior program and associated events.
· Availability to work and/or travel on weekends, and extended hours to oversee class instruction and hosted events.
Basic Job Requirements
• Minimum 2-years’ experience as a Sailing Program Head Coach or Youth Sailing Director
• Experienced Dinghy Sailor
• Familiar with Sabots, Lasers, CFJ or 420s
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• US Driver's License,
• Min. US Sailing Level 1 Certification, with SafeSport,
• CPR/First Aid,
• California Safe Boating Certificate.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or
• Four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please submit a letter of interest and contact us for a complete job description.
San Diego Yacht Club history and culture