The Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle (CYC) is looking for a Juniors Sailing Director. The Juniors program includes our learn to sail, race team, and summer programs. If you are passionate about getting kids out on the water, have coaching experience, and are ready for a leadership role with autonomy and the potential to grow a program, please get in touch!
About our program
Our mission: To instill a lifelong love and respect of sailing while providing the skills necessary for young sailors to advance as far as their desire, skill, and hard work may take them.
Our program is well established and in good health:
- Over 60 sailors participate in our Opti and FJ race teams
- Our summer camps reach ~350 sailors each year
- We have an engaged community of parent volunteers
- We have one of the region’s premier sailing locations off Shilshole Bay Marina on Puget Sound
- Our sailors compete at the national level in Optis, FJs and keelboats
- This year a CYC team became the youngest ever to complete the Race To Alaska
- We are financially healthy with a ~$200K annual budget
CYC members include multiple Olympic medalists, national and world champions, Transpac winners, and more. We are located in Seattle in the Pacific Northwest, a sailor’s paradise with year-round racing (see the racing calendar) in boats large & small, in sheltered waters and offshore, with all of these combined in the Race to Alaska. The Pacific NW is also home to epic cruising grounds, from the San Juan and Gulf Islands to the Inside Passage all the way to Alaska. Our junior sailors regularly see seals, sea lions, and porpoises, and occasionally humpbacks and killer whales.
Seattle is a cosmopolitan city and the area around the city beckons with ocean beaches, surfing, fishing, scuba diving, temperate rainforests, great hiking & skiing, mountaineering, climbing, etc.
What you will do
As the ‘CEO and head coach’ of our Juniors Program, you will maintain what’s already working and improve and expand the program. We aspire to offer higher-level dinghy coaching, to start a junior keelboat racing program, and to add non-racing programs such as adventure sailing. But these are just our ideas, we’re interested in yours!
This is a full-time position that reports to our club Commodore. Your responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement/oversee the program plans for Race Teams (Opti, Junior Varsity and Varsity); Summer Camps; and Learn to Sail programs
- Coach sailors: you will spend 30-40% of your time on the water coaching
- Develop and manage to the annual budget
- Recruit and hire seasonal coaching and instructing staff
- Mentor, train, and supervise coaches, instructors, and junior instructors
- Identify new program opportunities and build those programs from the ground up
- Oversee and assist in boat and equipment maintenance
- Interface with parents, volunteers, and CYC staff / board of directors
If you’re interested, please reach out to search committee chair Michael Dougherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.