Participate in and contribute to a safe, engaging, and respectful work environment by:
- Engage with the public and Courageous' members and students
- Communicate with other Courageous staff in order to keep track of members and boats, instructors' schedules, and boathouse events
- Manage organization of physical front desk space, as well as associated digital/informational spaces
- Maintain attentiveness on multiple platforms, especially during times of incoming weather or emergency
- Maintain the resources and tools of Courageous in coordination with other staff
- Monitor the weather, members' destinations and locations, boathouse needs, etc.
- Monitor and manage daily bookings, phone calls, emails and other customer service platforms
- Be proactive
- Provide clear, effective and timely communication with leadership staff
- Leave Courageous better than you found it
Safe (minimizing risks while maintaining an approachable and engaging environment for students, members, patrons and fellow staff members):
- Responsibly manage risk so that students, members, and patrons feel comfortable stepping outside of their comfort zones, asking questions and engaging with the facility on various levels.
- Complying with and encouraging students and members to learn Courageous’ set of sailing safety standards and reiterate their importance whenever possible.
- Attend all days of staff training and staff meetings and/or complete online training.*
- Exercise sound judgment and decision-making. Assess and mitigate foreseeable hazards
- Remain up to date on what roles and responsibilities you may take on in the event of an emergency and review the EAP with a direct supervisor.
Respectful (support and ensure that everyone can be successful):
- Maintain the Courageous fleet and facilities by completing everyday tasks as discussed in training and documented in daily checklists
- Reduce and help manage the disposal of waste in and around Boston Harbor
- Cultivate a kind and inclusive community
- Engaging (maintaining the expectation of individual responsibility for students and members):
- Build rapport with students, members and patrons
- Provide active and engaged feedback to daily questions and interactions
- Lead, facilitate, and participate in on-land responsibilities for general upkeep of the boathouse during down time.
*Job training days are position dependent and vary from position to position.
- Excellent customer-facing skills and attitude
- Self-starter in terms of completing both immediate customer-service tasks and digital database entry tasks. Employees who can identify dynamic needs and tend to them, while also completing enumerated daily tasks will do best in this role.
- Strong computer skills--front desk staff must be able to confidently and fluently interact with our customer management software and organizational spreadsheets. Attention to detail and logical-thinking is a must.
- No sailing or boat handling experience is required. Training to identify pertinent problems around the fleet will be provided.
- Willingness to work weekday evenings and weekends within a consistent schedule. Some flexibility to pick up additional shifts may be possible within this role.
- Ability to relay needs, issues, and solutions between members, staff, and administration
- At least 2-3 years customer service preferred
- Can effectively work and communicate with a wide variety of age groups and populations from diverse backgrounds
- Able to communicate clearly and directly
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- Able to build rapport easily with students, members, patrons and coworkers
- Comfortable working outdoors, regardless of weather
- Able to practice proper self-care and energy management while on the water or behind a desk for extended periods of time
- Able to maintain composure, exercise sound judgment and decision-making, and assess and mitigate risk under extended periods of stress
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Excellent references
- Willing to authorize a federal background check
- Hold, or are willing to obtain before start date, current First Aid and CPR certification