Sandy Bay Yacht Club– Club Manager
Sandy Bay Yacht Club is seeking an experienced club manager to help us expand our services to club members and the wider community. This position offers a balanced quality of life for the right professional.
Facilities & Operations
The Sandy Bay Yacht Club in Rockport, Massachusetts features:
· Waterfront facilities including club docks, dry dock, and moorings
· A club house with kitchen that hosts member social events and various summer programs
· Strong youth and adult sailing programs
· A fleet of club sail boats, launches, committee boat, dinghies, and sailing program RIBs
· A strong reputation as a premiere sailing venue
The club hosts many activities, including:
· Club racing
· A popular summer junior sailing program
The club operates from Memorial Day through mid-October with off-season social events. Gross revenues are around $300,000. The club has approximately 800 members.
Please visit the Club website sandybay.org for additional information.
The Club Manager Position
The club manager runs the operations, facilities, and activities of Sandy Bay Yacht Club to deliver value and service to the membership and ensure member and guest satisfaction.
The manager must have:
· A keen eye for service and the general appearance of the club
· A professional management appearance and presence
· Outstanding relationship and communications skills, written and spoken
· Strong operational management skills
· The ability to work with and support a volunteer board
· Implement the policies, directions, vision, and objectives of the board of governors
· Work with and support the board of governors in the seasonal hiring and management of staff to support sailing, children’s’ and adult programs, and social activities
· Supervise the club and dock facilities, and ensure and/or perform appropriate maintenance and upkeep including making ice, ensuring the clubhouse, deck, and bathrooms are clean and ship shape
· Manage our club-owned power and sailing vessels, and dock and related facilities.
· Manage the office, and club staff
· Support the sailing activities, social events, and children’s programs
· Receive and handle member complaints
· Use the club office technology to develop efficiencies and improve service to the membership
· Work with the treasurers to create the annual budgets
· Monitor the budget versus actual and support committee chairs’ management of their budget responsibilities
· Pro-actively help contain expenses, without diminishing the level of member service
· Control and be accountable for payroll execution
· Participate in and present reports to board meetings
· Execute the performance review process for direct reports
· Oversee safety, including the safe operation of the crane and/or any necessary safety repairs or upgrades to infrastructure.
Reports to the Commodore and Board of Governors
· USCG captain or launch operator license – Required
· Property and boat maintenance skills
· Experience in managing a membership-driven organization, preferably a yacht or sailing club
· Strong interpersonal, communications, and people management skills; to establish an effective working relationship with staff, members, and the board of governors
· Professionalism, diplomacy, and tactfulness; to generate a positive club image to potential and existing members and guests
· Strong organizational skills and self-motivation
· Resourcefulness in problem resolution
· Proficiency in office and accounting software applications
· Light Carpentry Skills a plus
Full time with extraordinary hours in the months of June, July, and August.
This is a salaried position with compensation package commensurate with experience. Paid vacation is permitted only in the off-season.