Join us for a seasonal management position at Great Harbor Yacht Club on Nantucket Island! Seeking the right "jack of all trades" candidate to assist in overseeing all areas of Sailing and Waterfront at GHYC during the busy summer. We promise a fun, exciting and rewarding season and the possibility of a full-time, year round position for the right candidate. Housing is available and competitive hourly wage. Read below for more information.
The Assistant Waterfront Director (AWD) will work closely with the year-round Waterfront Director in all areas of Sailing and Waterfront at Great Harbor Yacht Club and help to create great experiences for our Members. Areas of focus include Launch Service, Dock Slips and Waterfront, the Adult and Junior sailing programs, Junior Yacht Club and Regattas. The AWD will be the primary manager of the Launch Drivers and Dock Attendants and will ensure smooth operation of launch service, slip usage and waterfront amenities. The AWD will work closely with the Sailing Director and Waterfront Director in daily operation of all sailing programs and regattas. Work with Sailing Office Coordinator to complete all communications with members, bookings, marketing and promotion, billing, ordering, etc. The Assistant Waterfront Director will be present and available to Members and must be ready to help in all areas of Sailing and Waterfront, on the water, ashore and in the office.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Strong customer service, friendliness, cleanliness, organization and motivation.
- Eye for detail and focus on keeping things ship-shape and orderly
- “Jack of all trades” around the waterfront, sailboats and powerboats
- Ability to sail dinghies and small keelboats and operate powerboats (inboard and outboard) up to 35’
- Directly oversee team of launch drivers and dock attendants
- Set-up and break down dock facilities at the beginning and end of the season
- Create weekly schedule and assign tasks
- Maintain a USCG Captain’s License and act as launch driver minimum three shifts a week
- Ensure the GHYC launch log is being maintained and documented daily
- Monitor and organize the transient slip rentals and reservations.
- Ensure daily colors protocol is performed to highest standards
- Oversee maintenance and cleanliness of all Club S&W equipment
- Ensure launch boats are fully operational, clean and safe for Members. Enlist local mechanic when necessary.
- Make sure docks are in good working order, clean and functioning at full capacity
- Work with Sailing Director to maintain all sailboats, including performing preventative maintenance and fixing any issues. Knowledge of fiberglass maintenance is key.
- Keep outboard coach boats clean and in good working order
- Make sure all kayaks, paddleboards and open sailboats are fully functional, look good and are ready for Members
- Routinely check all Members boats and Club-owned boats and mooring lines for any damage or potential damage and contact the boat owners when an adjustment is made. Assist (with day-to-day management) of Sailing Director in management of Adult and Junior Sailing programs and lessons, as well as Open Sailing
- Assist Sailing Director with daily operations of Sailing programs
- Be ready and willing to assist with sailing programs and private lessons as an instructor when needed. Maintain at least a US Sailing Level 1 Certification
- Assist with maintenance and upkeep of sailboats and coach boats o Assist with staff training and program planning
- Assist Sailing Office Coordinator with all Member communications and billing
- Assist Waterfront Director with regattas and race management, including acting as Race Officer
- Assist Waterfront Director with cruises
- Assist Waterfront Director in all areas of Sailing & Waterfront management and execution of programs and events as needed, including acting as manager on duty when Waterfront Director is off-site
- Adhering to the same standards of service and behavior that peers are required to uphold and practice interdepartmental cooperation
- Practicing seamanlike behavior, which includes a positive and friendly demeanor.
- Practice excellent customer service skills and be flexible in customizing service to accommodate member needs.
- Maintaining a professional well-groomed appearance always, including wearing proper uniform and shoes
Qualifications and General Skills
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum USCG 25 Ton License along with advanced seamanship and boat handling skills
- Minimum US Sailing Level 1 Certification
- US Sailing Club Race Management Officer or minimum attend US Sailing Advanced Race Management seminar
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification
- 1 Year Experience in the Customer Service Industry
- Good mechanical knowledge of diesel and gas engines
- Must be able to drive a trailer
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs and spending at least six hours a day on your feet