The Tarratine Club of Dark Harbor, located on Islesboro, Maine, a 14-mile-long island in the heart of picturesque Penobscot Bay, is seeking an experienced Program Director for our Junior Sailing Program. The Tarratine Club fosters a life-long love of sailing in a safe, educational, and fun environment.
Founded in 1896, the Club enjoys a strong tradition of racing and recreational sailing, as well as golf and tennis. Typically, there are 25-30 morning sailors and over 20 afternoon sailors, ranging in ages 7 - 16.
The successful candidate will lead a team of approximately 10 junior instructors and senior instructors. The program participants progress from the ½ day morning program through optimists. The next level of sailors have the option to sail 420s or join a 420 Race team. The Opti and 420 Race teams compete at local regattas.
Program participants are also invited to participate in weekend adult races on Herreshoff 12½ and the renowned Dark Harbor 20, a classic 30' racing sloop designed by Sparkman & Stephens that is unique to the Tarratine Club.
The Junior Sailing Program Director will develop a positive and inclusive atmosphere for children and teens, providing an environment based on safety, fun, and learning. To get a sense of who we are, watch this video: https://vimeo.com/251018639.
This is a full-time seasonal position, including occasional evenings and weekends. The 2023 program will run from Monday, June 26th through Friday, August 18th.
Director responsibilities include:
● Manage a team of junior and senior instructors, level 1 certification required
● Train and supervise junior instructors and senior instructors to be effective leaders
● Manage and schedule junior sailing activities
● Ability to teach any level of sailing including competitive racing
● Review current curricula and lesson plans and revise as necessary
● Manage program registration process; determine the most appropriate placement for each participant based on skills, experience, and comfort
● Manage and coordinate registration, medical, and billing information
● Monitor on and off-water safety while maintaining a fun and upbeat learning environment
● Communicate with sailing families as necessary throughout the sailing season
● Establish safety and emergency-response processes
● Manage opening and closing duties for the season
● Meet with Sailing Committee Chair weekly to discuss progress
● Recommend maintenance and purchase of equipment to ensure safe, high-quality program
● Coordinate interclub regattas, travel arrangements and coaching needs for home and away regattas
● Attend committee meetings as necessary
● Provide quarterly and year-end report of Junior Sailing Program
● Potential to race the Herreshoff 12s and Dark Harbor 20s when not occupied by teaching responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be a mature, enthusiastic sailor with a sense of humor and a strong background in instruction, racing, and leadership.
The Club offers competitive salary, housing, year-end merit bonus, and shift lunch.