JOB TITLE: BCYC Junior Sailing Director & Head Coach of Mater Dei High School Sailing Team
JOB SUMMARY: A position which requires professional administration and operation of a year-round Junior Sailing Program and Race Teams including the Newport Beach Club 420 Team (2022 Bemis & C420 Team Race National Champs) & BCYC’s Sabot Race Team (2022 Sabot National Champs).
This job is also combined with the Mater Dei Sailing Team Head Coach position. MDHSST was the 2021-2022 Sail 1 Design HS Team of the Year. The Newport Beach Junior Sailing Landscape is a great place for ambitious Sailing Professionals looking for competitive sailors to coach.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Report to General Manager & President of Mater Dei High School
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Oversight of BCYC coaching staff, including up to 8 coaches during off-season and up to 22 during the summer. Oversight of two assistant Mater Dei High School coaches.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with Experience
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Full-time
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Junior Sailing Director manages a year round sailing program for juniors ages 5 - 17 yrs old. This person is responsible for the daily operations and tasks associated with BCYC sailing programs as well as the Mater Dei high school sailing team. They will help coordinate program logistics and goals with the BCYC Junior Sailing Committee. This person will create, promote and maintain curriculum, develop a yearly budget with the General Manager, help with the training of new instructors, and assist with maintenance projects of the Junior Program owned equipment and assets. They must also provide a high level of coaching to program participants up to the national level. This position involves a high degree of contact with both adult and junior membership in a consulting, service-oriented, and disciplinarian format as well as on a personal level. Goals for the Junior Sailing Director are to be a role model for junior sailors, a mentor to new coaches and a leader in local, regional, and national Junior Sailing policy and programming. As the Head Coach o
1. Prepare and manage the BCYC and MDHS sailing programs which includes planning program concept and curriculum, hiring and training staff, securing equipment and facilities, and managing day to day operations. Primary programs include:
· Six week summer program.
· Fall and Spring sailing programs and PCISA/ISSA HS Practice & Regattas during those school semesters
· Monthly winter clinics and regatta prep clinics prior to regional SCYYRA events and National events
2. Conduct advanced racing classes during program hours which includes a graduated curriculum, daily chalk-talks and de-briefs, a wide variety of on-the-water drills and activities, intermittent proficiency evaluations, and regular progress reports.
3. Assist in the organization of the travel Race Team, prepare calendars, email correspondences, and organize travel equipment.
4. Motivate junior participation in regional and travel events and coordinate logistics for sailing families and the BCYC coaching team.
5. Enforce proper coaching techniques and guidelines
6. Assist with supervision and management of Junior facilities, equipment maintenance, capital acquisitions and improvements.
7. Enforce policies of BCYC and MDHS
8. Attend events, functions, and meetings as directed.
Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club
Scott Jones, General Manager
1601 Bayside Drive
Corona del Mar CA 92625
Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club is located in Southern California within the city of Corona del Mar and runs a very competitive Youth Sailing Program in Newport Harbor. With around 450 members, we are a mid-size club with a full service restaurant, marina, boatyard, indoor dry storage for Sabots, swimming pool and more. Our goal is to instill a lifelong appreciation for sailing by creating an environment that promotes sportsmanship, safety, and success. BCYC offers a premier Junior Sailing Program with benefits that won’t be found anywhere else in Newport Beach. We offer regular programming during three of four seasons with beginner to advanced sailing instruction and elite travel race teams. Please contact the General Manager for more information.