2024 SEARCH FOR SENIOR SAILING CAMP INSTRUCTOR
Orleans Yacht Club, INC.
39 Cove Road
Orleans Massachusetts 02653
Category: Sailing Coach/Instructor
Job Start Date: 6/17/2024
Job End Date: 8/23/2024
Manages Others: Yes
Experience Required: Yes
Degree Required: No
Security Clearance Required: Yes CORI & SORI
Housing Provided: Open to consideration
Employment Type: Summer Only
Work Schedule: Full-Time
The Orleans Yacht Club, Inc. is on Cape Cod, 39 Cove Road, Orleans, Massachusetts, 02653. The
yacht club sits on the shore of Orleans Town Cove, a beautiful location with perfect conditions for sailing
and sailing instruction. The Club operates a Junior Sailing Program serving children aged 8–18 for eight
weeks, plus one week before classes start for set-up and one week after classes end for breakdown.
The Orleans Yacht Club is looking for senior instructors aged 18 or older to instruct beginners through
advanced Optis, Precisions, Capris, and 420s.
1. This position reports directly to the Junior Sailing Program Head Sailing Coach (JSPHSC)
/Junior Sailing Program Camp Director (JSPCD).
2. You will work with the JSPHSC / JSPCD regarding class organization and preparation.
a. You will follow assigned tasks as administered by the JSPHSC / JSPCD
b. You will work with the Race Coach as needed.
c. You will assist other Senior Instructors with various class levels as needed.
d. You will assist with the training of Junior Instructors and Junior Assistants.
e. You will prepare and follow class lesson plans.
f. You will keep necessary records & attendance for the program & classes.
g. You will provide daily instruction on and off-of-the water, lectures, demonstration, and skill
3. You will work within the OYC, US Sailing, and MA recreational camp standards & safety
4. Shall integrate US Sailing rules & regulations in daily instruction.
5. You will respectfully and effectively communicate with JSP & OYC staff, students, parents, and
OYC members (as needed).
6. You will assist with JSP-related boat maintenance, rigging, gear preparation, and daily
inspection of equipment used.
a. You will help Junior Instructors & Junior Assistants as needed
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
Work schedule and hours depend on the assigned class level you will teach. You will be paid hourly
according to the time frame mentioned above from late June to late August, requiring mandatory on-site
participation during the program’s operation. Depending on circumstances and needs, the schedule
includes some evening hours.
Compensation shall be based on experience and hours worked. A Performance-Based Bonus is
The following MUST requirements are mandatory for employment as a Senior Sailing Instructor and
conform to the MA DPH 105 CMR 430.000 Minimum Standards for Recreational Camps for Children:
1. Must be at least 18 years old.
2. Must have transportation to and from the club.
3. Must have five years of sailing/racing experience in Optis, Precisions, Capris, and 420s.
4. Must have current US Sailing Small Boat Instructor certifications.
a. Level 1 for first-year instructors and Level 2 for the second year/returning instructor.
5. Must have US Sailing Safe Powerboat Handling/Safety & Rescue Course certification.
6. Must have current American Red Cross CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications.
a. American Red Cross Lifeguard certification (as directed by Camp Director)
7. Must submit to applicable CORI & SORI and background checks.
a. Positive results will allow employment.
8. Must present a current immunization record and health/medical from their doctor.
9. Must satisfactorily complete the Instructor Orientation Program
10. NEW HIRES (required).
a. Prior work or volunteer history for three (3) Years (if available).
b. Three positive personal references.
c. Must have sailed as an Advanced Level JSP student for at least one season.
Orleans Yacht Club
39 Cove Road
Orleans, Massachusetts 02653
Phone: (508) 255-9091
A detailed Description and Qualification Requirement Sheet is available upon request.