Come spend your summer working in beautiful Vermont as Malletts Bay Boat Club's Junior Sailing Program director.
The Program Director position is responsible for the overall operation of the Malletts Bay Boat Club’s Junior Sailing program, including its morning instruction and afternoon race programs. This position is also responsible for supervising the Club’s junior sailing program staff, including at least three instructors and junior instructors. In addition to program oversight, the Program Director is also expected to provide high-quality junior sailing and small boat race instruction.
Duties & Expectations (include, but are not limited to):
● Coordinate and administer program’s instructional and racing curriculum, including following US Sailing curriculum or such similar curriculum as is developed in cooperation with the Curriculum Sub-Committee of the Junior Sailing Committee.
● Develop day-to-day instruction lesson plans and race team plans that are appropriate for the weather conditions and skill levels of participants
● Create a system and culture of rewarding positive behaviors we are trying to instill in our junior sailors, including as sportsmanship, seamanship, and safety
● Organize all regatta logistics including travel plans, housing, and communication with host club, and communicating this information with racers and parents. Organizing at least one on-site junior sailing regatta.
● Develop and implement appropriate safety protocols, with approval of Junior Sailing Committee
● Ensure program participants follow the Club’s Junior Sailing Code of Conduct
• Supervise the Junior Sailing Program’s instructors to ensure high-quality sailing and racing instruction, and that all students are supervised and participating in a safe and professional environment
• Mentor sailing instructors to help them improve knowledge and skills
• Provide high-quality sailing and racing instruction
● Ensure that the program, boats, and instructors are ready prior to the start of the first session of the summer program (before June 22, 2020).
● Participate weekly planning meetings with the Junior Sailing Committee chair
● Report as needed to the Junior Sailing Committee Chair regarding condition of boats, any parts that are needed, damage that has occurred, and ensure all equipment is accounted for.
● Clean and prepare all boats for winter storage in good condition following the conclusion of the program in August.
● Maintain required certifications
● Minimum, US Sailing Level 1 and Level 2 certification
● Current Basic First Aid & CPR certification
● Demonstrated experience with program management, preferably in working with youth recreational programs
● Experience managing and supervising personnel
● Experience with sailing instruction and small boat racing (skipper or crew)