Founded in 1871, the North Shore Yacht Club is among the foremost pioneers of yachting in America. Since 1933 it has been located on the northern shore of Manhasset Bay with a great view and protected from most heavy winds.
It was in 1951 that the name was changed from the New York Canoe Club but under the original articles of incorporation. It is one of the two oldest yacht clubs on Long Island Sound.
North Shore Yacht Club has traditionally appealed to sailing families. As often stated, the club's red burgee with its single horizontal stripe is simple because there were only about 35 clubs in the United States when it was approved. That led to a simple credo: Tradition-with simplicity,